#51 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 08 October 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Who directed Greenland? Mind you, he also directed The Brothers Size which put him straight on my list of directors to follow.

Bijan Sheibani- also directed Moonlight at the Donmar, and House of Bernarda Alba at the Almeida.

#52 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 08 October 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Since Greenland (another celeb-free turkey) and Damned by Despair have the same director, I'm getting less optimistic with every passing moment :lol:. As did the Kitchen - does nobody famous want to work with this bloke? :blink: As for the Dark Earh and the Light Sky - the Almeida is about a third the size of the Olivier so you can't really compare them.

Michael Gould seems to like working with the director as he was in both Greenland and DbD! I might have to avoid Sebastian Armesto as he was in DbD and A Woman Killed by Kindness (as a Woman Killed by Boredom as I called it as people feel asleep around me). I am amazed DbD had an interval, the arrogance of it. It is almost like they want people to leave.

#53 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostSnciole, on 08 October 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Michael Gould seems to like working with the director as he was in both Greenland and DbD! I might have to avoid Sebastian Armesto as he was in DbD and A Woman Killed by Kindness (as a Woman Killed by Boredom as I called it as people feel asleep around me). I am amazed DbD had an interval, the arrogance of it. It is almost like they want people to leave.

I have no recollection of who he was but Arnesto was also in the boring Rocket to the Moon.

#54 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 08 October 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Bijan Sheibani- also directed Moonlight at the Donmar, and House of Bernarda Alba at the Almeida.

He directed the awfully tedious "The Kitchen" too - I wonder how come he gets so many opportunities ?

#55 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Chacun a son gout and all that but I loved The Kitchen and thought Sheibani did a brilliant job with it.  I also liked what he did with the impossible Moonlight and with Bernarda Alba.  He is not without talent.  All of which made Damned By Despair a huge disappointment for me. What was there about Frank McGuinness's "version" of this play that made him want to direct it?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#56 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

The Kitchen was excellent, and I enjoyed Moonlight (many didn't!). Bernarda Alba was dull dull dull, but it was a stunning production- it looked beautiful. He also directed Our Class in the Cottesloe (which I didn't see), but I know that many on here really liked it (as did the press).

#57 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 09 October 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

He directed the awfully tedious "The Kitchen" too - I wonder how come he gets so many opportunities ?

Because he's an Associate Director at the NT. I've only seen The Brothers Size (ATC/Drum Plymouth/Young Vic) and The House of Bernarda Alba (Almeida) and they both had incredible atmospheres. I would have been very interested to see Moonlight for that reason.

#58 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 09 October 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

Because he's an Associate Director at the NT.

Is he ? How come ?

#59 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 09 October 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

Is he ? How come ?

These are the current NT Associate Directors:

Sebastian Born
Howard Davies
Marianne Elliott
Katie Mitchell
Rufus Norris
Ben Power
Bijan Sheibani

#60 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

I think it will get quite fashionable to hate Damned By Despair, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's flawed, but it has things going for it, quite thrillng in places and definitely not a snoozefest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users