• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 JoshClark

JoshClark

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

What shows would you like to see come to the West End? Actually, doesn't have to be an existing musical, so if you could turn a film into a musical for the West End, which film?
2012 THEATRE: Wizard of Oz, Blood Brothers, Sweeney Todd, Wicked

2013 THEATRE: Les Miserables, Rock of Ages, Peter and Alice, A Midsummer's Night Dream, Henry V, Billy Elliot, WWRY, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda

2013 TOURS: WWRY, Hairspray

Directing

2013: Privates On Parades, Blood Brothers, Rock of Ages, War Horse, The Tale of the Englishman and the Afghan

2014: Hero, If I Need You Will You Come, Running For Gold, Romeo and Juliet, Oh Sherrie!

#2 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

The one show that I saw on Broadway that has stayed with me since and adore the score (luckily the cast recording is an outstanding way to relive the show) would be 'Next to Normal'

PLEASE if someone with power and/or money is reading this.... bring it to London!!!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#3 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

I'd love to see a decent production of Jekyll and Hyde in the West End. Would probably flop but even if it was a limited run it would be great.

#4 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

i'm not sure in the west end but in london i'd love to see light in the piazza, the frogs, grey gardens, kiss of the spider woman, chess, children of eden ... my list is endless :)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#5 robintusin

robintusin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

In terms of existing musical, Memphis - love the show. :-)

For a new musical based on a movie, would have to be Mrs Doubtfire. Would love to see how the constant changes from woman to man could be achieved - all the time convincing the audience that Daniel's wife and kids wouldn't recognise him.

#6 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

In terms a new musical, I would like a jukebox musical with the songs of Duran Duran as I think their music would work well with the right story. In terms of an existing musicals, I'd to see Newsies come over from Broadway.

#7 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

Newsies for me too. It might not work very well over here, but I still want it. I think the time might be right to have RENT back in the West End. As for one based off a film, The Truman Show would be interesting.

#8 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

Labyrinth!
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#9 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Considering the simplicity of the film scripts, I'm surprised that Pretty Woman and Notting Hill haven't yet popped up on stage yet. Notting Hill as a film is only set in a few locations (mainly his flat), which is ideal for the stage. Similarly, Pretty Woman is in a hotel for a lot of the film. And while I'm at it, Erin Brockovitch would be great to see too.

On the musical front, I want a Madonna jukebox. I suspect an MJ one is already in the works.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#10 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

I'd love to see Beauty and the Beast revived but reimagined so it isn't a carbon copy of either the film or the original production.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users