#31 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostJaszyR91, on 30 September 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

I didn't know about Shakespeare in Love..... interesting.

Shakespeare in Love is going to be a play rather than a musical and it's a co-production with Sonia Friedman. It'll be interesting how it translates to the stage.

#32 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

If you look up 'Disney Theatrical Productions' on wikipipedia you can also see that Dumbo and the Jungle Book are also in the pipeline for them, as well as Father of the Bride and Freaky Friday.

#33 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PostJon, on 01 October 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

Shakespeare in Love is going to be a play rather than a musical and it's a co-production with Sonia Friedman. It'll be interesting how it translates to the stage.
They have problems on this: Tom Stoppard withdrew from writing this and was replaced by Lee Hall, a workshop of his script was held for Disney and went so poorly that its director Matthew Warchus 'left' the project

They should solve it as its a good idea

#34 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 01 October 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

If you look up 'Disney Theatrical Productions' on wikipedia you can also see that Dumbo and the Jungle Book are also in the pipeline for them, as well as Father of the Bride and Freaky Friday.

The Jungle Book's going to premiere in Chicago next year and I love the film so I'm intrigued how a stage version pans out. Aladdin has tons of potential but as Little Mermaid prove, it can go wrong.

#35 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

The issue Aladdin might face here is its associated so much with panto, even the disney name may face a challenge convicing people to pay more than double the amount for ghe same story. Especially as, as the show stands at the moment, the production values arent hugely different from a top end panto

#36 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostJon, on 01 October 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

The Jungle Book's going to premiere in Chicago next year and I love the film so I'm intrigued how a stage version pans out. Aladdin has tons of potential but as Little Mermaid prove, it can go wrong.
Mary Zimmerman who is directing jungle book directed an extraordinary Metamorphosis off broadway some years back. Interesting choice

#37 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostTitan, on 01 October 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

The issue Aladdin might face here is its associated so much with panto

That's a problem faced by the Rodgers and Hammerstein Cinderella. It has some of their best work, but - in the UK at least - it's bedevilled by audiences wanting to shout "it's behind you", and no matter how hard you try to get across to people that it is possible to tell a story in more than one way they don't seem to get it.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users