36 replies to this topic

#21 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

I've recently thought that Anastasia and The Prince of Egypt could be turned into good musicals with the right producer and director. Both have some songs which could be easily weaved into the musical and still leave room for some creativity so new songs could be included.

#22 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 26 September 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

Beetlejuice would make an awesome musical! Could use the two Harry Belafonte songs plus I could just imagine a huge Tim Burton-y looking house maybe structured like the Mary Poppins house with loads of tricks and effects!

As for another film, I'd love to see Disney's Aladdin done on full scale, I've been watching the California theme park 45 minute version on YouTube and its just asking forth be expanded for Broadway/London!

I think Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame has lots of potential
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#23 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

View Postposter J, on 26 September 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Newsies, The Light in the Piazza, Anything Goes, Memphis.

A revival of Rent (done properly!)

And someone to take the great score to Chess and somehow make it into a decent overall production that's not far too long!

Oh yes! The Light in the Piazza
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#24 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostAnthony, on 29 September 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

I think Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame has lots of potential

The other day westendproducer tweeted something about that coming to the west end, but I am never quite sure whether to believe what he tweets or not!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#25 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostMS1995, on 29 September 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

The other day westendproducer tweeted something about that coming to the west end, but I am never quite sure whether to believe what he tweets or not!

I saw that, wasn't sure if it was a joke or not. It was done to ridicule a performer, but could be a truth as well. The German production did well, did it not?

#26 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

I'm not sure Hunchback would be a hit, it was successful in Berlin but it was much darker than the film and more like the book and Disney is probably afraid that in its current form, the show wouldn't be successful and may harm their brand.

Disney have a lot in development such as Aladdin, Alice in Wonderland and Shakespeare in Love and with Newsies a hit on Broadway, I imagine they plan to do a US National tour as well as bring it to other countries in the next few years, even unsuccessful shows like Tarzan and The Little Mermaid have been reworked and found success in other countries.

#27 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

I like the idea of a Hunchback of Notre Dame musical that's more similar to the book than the cartoon.
It's a really great book, but very disturbing in parts - so wouldn't really appeal to the family market!
I'd love for there to be 2 Victor Hugo classics running in the west end!

View PostJon, on 30 September 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Disney have a lot in development such as Aladdin, Alice in Wonderland and Shakespeare in Love and with Newsies a hit on Broadway, I imagine they plan to do a US National tour as well as bring it to other countries in the next few years, even unsuccessful shows like Tarzan and The Little Mermaid have been reworked and found success in other countries.

I didn't know about Shakespeare in Love..... interesting.
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#28 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostJaszyR91, on 30 September 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

I like the idea of a Hunchback of Notre Dame musical that's more similar to the book than the cartoon.
It's a really great book, but very disturbing in parts - so wouldn't really appeal to the family market!
I'd love for there to be 2 Victor Hugo classics running in the west end!

I didn't know about Shakespeare in Love..... interesting.

There was a Hunchback of Notre-Dame rock musical at the Dominion before WWRY. I thought it was absolutely awful but it limped along for a year so some people must have liked it. All I can really remember was a lengthy dirge about building cathedrals.

Re Beauty and the Beast - the RSC did an excellent musical version a few years ago which would probably go down well at the Young VIc.

#29 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 30 September 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

There was a Hunchback of Notre-Dame rock musical at the Dominion before WWRY. I thought it was absolutely awful but it limped along for a year so some people must have liked it. All I can really remember was a lengthy dirge about building cathedrals.

I remember that. I remember it was funny in places it wasn't supposed to be funny. If I remember correctly it didn't tell a story, but assumed everyone knew the story and then went on to present a series of disconnected scenes based on that story.

I remember people in the audience being in fits of giggles during the interval.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#30 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3363 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Anastasia has been workshopped in nyc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users