19 replies to this topic

#1 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

I am a member at Donmar....lowest level, doesn't cost me much each year....but have now received an email from them about ...well you can read it yourself....

"We are delighted to be able to share with you an exclusive invitation for friends and alumni of the Donmar, from our neighbours and Press Night Partner - The Hospital Club.
Details of the invitation from The Hospital Club are below:
The Hospital Club is proud to be a partner of the Donmar Warehouse. To celebrate the new autumn season of culture in London after a summer of sport we’d like to extend an invitation to all the Friends of the Donmar to come and enjoy the Club for a drink or a whole day at your leisure.  Feel free to pop in for a quiet coffee and a newspaper in the Bellini Lounge, watch the sunset over London’s skyline with a drink in our Martini Bar, enjoy pre-theatre dinner in our outstanding restaurant or round the evening off with a nightcap – and if you decide you’d like to come back for more, we’ll offer you a very special partners membership rate to join our club.  
Just drop Oliver a line on membership@thehospitalclub.com for more info or to let us know when you’d like to come in (don’t forget to mention you’re a friend of the Donmar), and we look forward to welcoming you very soon.

Best wishes"

I sort of object to being invited to a "club" by the Donmar. I thought they were trying to widen access, not make it more exclusive! I will not be dropping "Oliver" a line! Not atall sure I like this change of tone....

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

Did you forget to tick the box about offers from partners or whatever? It's fairly standard to send this sort of thing and as long as they're not inviting you to join a badger cull or the BNP I don't have much problem with it

#3 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Really? So the plebs can sit in the £10 seats while the members get invited to give Oliver a ring for membership of a club.
Never got an email from them before that was not directly to do with the actual theatre or productions.

I know, I know, I have become a bore, I shall move on.....sorry! It's just my ex is now dressing up all posh and chatting up other people....

#4 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

What is in fact scandalous is the ditching of the Donmar Discovery scheme - the Donmar now has no acess scheme specifically targetting young people... despite it's public subsidy! Cannot understand.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Oliver's army is on the way!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

I didn't much go for it either. I thought it might be a mistake but no, you can go to this club for the day- day pass- though what you do I don't know and then they offer a  membership for £ 300 I think it is. I think if you really want to hang about with media people and so on, it might be a bargain but others may  tell us, is this really where they all do hang out?

#7 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

My new Donmar problem is that they've relocated stalls seats for Berenice, so that the SL side is now at the back of the stage (if that makes sense)... turned the auditorium around. I'm in the circle of the relocated side, and so I'm wondering if I'm going to miss a load? The Donmar have contacted those in the stalls to let them know, but it would be nice to have some information from them- their Twitter account has been rather silent, the couple of times I've contacted them.

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

The audience members with tickets for the stage left circle in the three-sided configuration, who will now be seated above the rear of the thrust configuration, may each be provided with a set of angel wings and a halo and required to play Berenice's heavenly guardians for the benefit of the rest of the audience.

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

I emailed the Donmar re the setating, and they said:

The new seating configuration for Berenice doesn’t impede sight lines for those sitting in the circle for Berenice. No action actually takes place in the area from where the seats have been moved.

I’ve just gone and sat in B11 to make sure, and you have as good a view of the stage as you ever would.

Not sure what's in that area then....

#10 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

mmmm puzzling. I too got the club invite, pretty sure i always tick the do not pass my details on box. will wait and see what's with the seat allocations....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users