#11 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostRH1234, on 26 September 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

What is in fact scandalous is the ditching of the Donmar Discovery scheme - the Donmar now has no acess scheme specifically targetting young people... despite it's public subsidy! Cannot understand.

Let me guess: you are a young person ? How about the lack of a pensioners discount ? Scandalous too ?

#12 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

I'm starting a campaign about the fact that no theatres at all have a middle aged persons discount - anyone want to join me?

Seriously, I'm pleased for young people that they are able to get cheap theatre tickets but it does annoy me when some seem to view it as a god-given right.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#13 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

-

#14 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

Yes, sorry, not aimed at you personally, more at comments on various other threads in the past :)

I should probably learn not to make grumpy posts before my first coffee of the day

#15 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

The Donmar has a scheme of sorts for the OAPs: £15 best available, bookable in advance, all matiness. Most of the members are OAPs (well it certainly seems so, given by the look of the stalls at every production), so they shouldn;t have any trouble benefittin from the discount.

The Donmar Discovery scheme was never much good (to me, anyway- yes, I'm U25) as the tickets were only for Monday evenings... fine if you live in London, whcih I don't.

#16 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postxanderl, on 28 September 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

I'm starting a campaign about the fact that no theatres at all have a middle aged persons discount - anyone want to join me?

Seriously, I'm pleased for young people that they are able to get cheap theatre tickets but it does annoy me when some seem to view it as a god-given right.

Remember we've had free University education and the chance to buy a house, plus we've probably nicked all their money by having government pensions so the least we can do is let them watch a bit of theatre on the cheap! :ph34r:

#17 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Donmar Discovery was a free ticket scheme for young people aged between 16 and 25, which grew out of the government funded 'A Night Less Ordinary' ticket scheme, which ended in March 2011.
Following a review of the way that we interact with our audience members as a whole, we have taken the decision to end Donmar Discovery in October 2012. We will continue to offer tickets to all audience members at excellent value, both through day tickets and the Barclays Front Row scheme.

I'm happy to take this Donmar statement at face value. Excellent value for all sounds fine.

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Yes, sounds fair enough. I believe the RSC scheme also grew out of ANLO and is now self funded. Argument for ending ANLO I think was that it was heavily used by a core of regular users but wasn't actually encouraging new audiences

#19 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Like, dare I say, most of these schemes, including the Barc... whoops, I think I'd better shut up about that.

#20 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostRH1234, on 28 September 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

Not claiming a god-given right here... only saying that the Donmar being about the only theatre on public subsidy without an acces scheme for young people

Not sure why those two facts should be related at all - none of the public subsidy is coming from young people is it ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users