21 replies to this topic

#11 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I found this really dull and left at the interval. The problem was I wanted to see more of Galactia as a mother and a lover rather than that stupid painting or Fiona Shaw's boobies (As great as they are they should have appeared in a couple of scenes rather than flopping out all over the place).

I cannot even give 5 stars to Jamie Ballard's arse. I did, sadly, like the bit where they mentioned 'Sienna'. Sienna Miller is currently carrying Phobe Nicholls' grandchild.

#12 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

This is a strange one, isn't it? It felt to me as if they couldn't really decide on the tone - Fiona Shaw, brilliant as she was, seemed to be in a different play from Ballard, Nicholls, Arrow-in-Head man and especially Tim McInnerny (careful with that, there's a special slip in the programme to advise that his name's been mis-spelt!) He seemed to be channeling Blackadder into his performance! However there were some interesting points to consider and I was still thinking about it this morning, always a good sign, so overall am glad I saw it.

Oh, and how nice to see William Chubb back on stage after the recent loss of his wife (Cassandra Jardine).

#13 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostPolly1, on 25 October 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

This is a strange one, isn't it? It felt to me as if they couldn't really decide on the tone -

Good observation! In a lot of Howard Barker, the tone is deliberately ambiguous and often scrunches gear from moment to moment and from character to character. That's a big part of the fascination. The audience has to pay full attention and take in whatever's thrown at it.

On the other hand, Scenes from an Execution is one of his most consistent in tone, appearing least "strange", which is probably why the NT chose to stage this oldie from his many plays. It would have been good if they'd followed it up with a new co-production with the Wrestling School of something that Howard Barker wanted to present now.

#14 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Howard Barker's God and His Lot is just starting at the Print Room - UK premiere I believe. That might shed light on Howard Barker "now".

#15 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 25 October 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Howard Barker's God and His Lot is just starting at the Print Room - UK premiere I believe. That might shed light on Howard Barker "now".

The title's Lot and His God. Lit by Peter Mumford! Disappointingly, not directed or designed by Howard Barker. Thanks for the info.

#16 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Sorry, I was recalling the title from my not v good memory.

#17 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Loving this so far. Fiona Shaw a bit  of a star turn. Slight suspicion that point has been made in first half. Plays about art tricky. Red at the Donmar best I've seen to date. I don't believe in the artist being such a frantic messy worker! But there again  Freud's studio  was a bit messy as seen in photos. Everso slightly approaching cliche........
Let's  see what second half brings.

#18 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Time Out are offering 30% off top price tickets (£32.50 instead of £47).  Valid selected dates between November 24 and December 7.
http://uk-offers.tim...execution-offer

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Second half wobbled a bit then pulled itself together nicely. Lots to discuss. I wasn't sure about the Doge; much as I love McInnery ( sorry spelling wrong, I know, haven't got prog at hand) his role became too comic especially when he was shouting at the bloke. I felt it was not so much leaning towards Blackadder as has been noted, but Monty Python. And I didn't like the prison part. Dunno why, just didn't like it.

Funny, this week, seen play about poetry and now one about art.

#20 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostLynette, on 15 November 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

And I didn't like the prison part. Dunno why, just didn't like it.

If you mean the scene where Galactia is ranting in her cell, it worked brilliantly in the original radio play because we were confined there with her. The first stage production couldn't find a satisfactory way to stage it - as I remember they just had the actor offstage and dimmed the lights - and that was the single part of the radio play that didn't work in the theatre. Of course the painting was magnificent on radio but surprisingly it's also been successfully evoked on stage also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users