150 replies to this topic

#21 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

I think next week will be my last trip. Shame. This show was a big part of my life for 13 months.

#22 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

You not going to see the show anymore after it moves, Cat? ;(

#23 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Maybe once. For Ian as Drew. The Garrick is a terrible theatre for sight lines unless you're front and centre and I can't afford those seats!

#24 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Does anyone know if they will still be doing day seats at the Garrick?

#25 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

I think so, they have £25 listed as a stalls price category but dont have any to book.

#26 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

I went to see this again on Saturday to see Tim D as Stacee. I couldn't really imagine him as Stacee beforehand but thought he was great :) He's made me like the character a bit more and I now think Stacee isn't all that bad really and is just misunderstood! I deliberately sat on the centre aisle so I could see him do the drunk scene at the end, and ended up right by him when he fell.

I don't have any plans to go again at the Shaftsbury but will probably go to the Garrick, especially as I want to see Tim as Drew. I'd been waiting for a weekend date but Tim said at the moment the only week he knows he'll be on is in July. I don't think I can wait that long so might have to plan a trip down midweek to catch a Monday show. I see they've changed the schedule at the Garrick back to Monday to Saturday, with the Saturday matinee on at 3pm rather than 4pm.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#27 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

I saw Memphis in New York while on hols, despite  the fact the cast were vocally superb & the show also, i will surprised if it lasts longer than R of ages. It may not appeal to the uk mass audience

#28 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

Memphis isn't replacing it anymore though I didn't think?

#29 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

no burn the floor followed by from here to eternity.

likewise i cant see memphis doing well in london, mind you from here to eternity has a whiff of the flop shaftesbury shows of the past

#30 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Finally saw this show again last friday (first time after its move) and I must say that I was a bit disappointed. I still like the show, but they seem to have 'enhanced' some of the effects (probably to minimize the running costs) which ruins the experience quite a bit (especially when you're expecting it):
- Only a spark thrower (instead of the flame thrower) in 'Final Countdown'
- No spark shower in 'Heaven/More than words'
- No Chateau Marmont anymore; Regina and Hertz just meet at the platform above the band at the end of act 2.
- No glitter at the end in 'Don't stop believin' (despite the few bits Dennis fires from his gun)
The middle aisle is also truly missing. Most people won't see Stacee stumbling in from the side in act 2.

Besides that I still like RoA as a fun night out. Had Cordelia as Sherrie and Nathan as Lonny, who both were really nice in their roles. I prefer Nathan's singing, but think that Simon is funnier. Cordelia's Sherrie is more innocent, but I still prefer Natalie in that role. Would also love to see Jodie as Sherrie once.

Unfortunately, the attendance was't that good. u/c seemed to be closed (although I could't see it exactly from down the stalls), and d/c and stalls still had a couple of seats available.

Does anyone know whats going on with the first one and a half rows in the stalls? They were - apart from two or three people sitting at the end - unoccupied. Are these the student seats mentioned on the web site?

Also, according to the Garrick box office, RoA is not selling day seats anymore. So any advice to get (good) tickets for reasonable prices?
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users