75 replies to this topic

#41 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hackney Empire on April 26th. Going on sale on Friday.

#42 *Michael*

*Michael*

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I've got 2 restricted view upper circle seats that I can no longer use - £22 for the pair - anyone interested?

#43 Pongydog

Pongydog

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi, Im fairly new at this, I have seen a few musicals in London and at UK tours. Rent is a musical I wanted to catch. I saw this production of Rent advertised at Manchester as a 'Concert'.

I'm a bit confused - Just to clalify - what is the meaning of 'Concert'? in this context.

Is it not the actuall show? Is it just people on stage singing the songs without costumes or sets etc....?

#44 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

I imagine they will be in costume, and a basic set, and the odd prop being held, but singing done at standing microphones and sung out to the audience, possibly with microphones being shared during romantic duets to increase opportunity for acting!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#45 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

To be fair, RENT always had a very concert feel to it. I imagine just some 80's clothing and maybe some projections here and there. I wonder if they will perform the book scenes? I know it's a concert but the book scenes are quite short so..

#46 KieranJ

KieranJ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

I think Rent will really work as a concert, the full stage version isn't that ellaborate anyway.

#47 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Think they'll be in costume at the very least- they posted a photo of Angel in costume on their Facebook page last week.

#48 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

Just back from first performance in Manchester. It  was a stunning show. Thought it was really well staged and great performances from all the cast. It didnt seem like a concert more like a full production due to the staging, costumes and acting. I've never seen an audience rise to give a standing ovation so quickly.

#49 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

I loved it too,Richey.It was especially great to see such a young enthusiastic audience.A few quibbles-and there have to be quibbles of course:the band were too loud-often drowning ensemble songs;diction from many of the cast was very poor-if you didn't know the story you'd have been very confused;Kerry Ellis was great apart from Out Tonight when she did look too old;and Rory Taylor can hit the notes but lacks personality and stage presence.But I always nit-pick.It's well worth seeing.

#50 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Rather disappointed with this, though I didn't have high hopes in the first place. The sound was dreadful, the lighting was appalling, couldn't hear the ensemble singing half the time. I felt some performances were very OTT and cliched. Roger and Mark were terribly miscast. Nikki Davis Jones saved it for me, and her duet with Jemma Alexander brought the house down. She also managed to pull off looking good in rubber. Leon Lopez also stood out and am looking forward to seeing him in The Color Purple. And a final note, £5 for a flimsy programme is a rip off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users