JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

View Postposter J, on 04 May 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

No, of course it's not.

It's meant to be some sort of hope to end on, and some sort of positivity.  In my opinion Finale B is the best part of the whole score.

Sorry if I offended you. Maybe it just didn't come across that way (to me at least). I am someone who gets emotional very easily and I did shed a tear when Angel died.

#62 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

I've never liked the ending of RENT. I get why it's there, Larson said he need the show to be about life, not death, but just feels tacked on in the best of productions.

RENT gradually gets better, it starts weak (I mean "Rent, rent, rent, rent, rent" is not the greatest of lyrics) but grows to become something beautiful and powerful, then the ending happens and always makes me feel like, "That's what it was building up to?" JME52K you aren't alone. It makes me thinking the production of Romeo and Juliett in Hot Fuzz, where post deaths, the cast sing Lovefool by The Cardigans.

Maybe my prior knowledge and love for La Boheme tainted my enjoyment, I don't know, just feels like it ends with a wimper instead of a bang.

#63 Dubbie

Dubbie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone know if Kerry is performing today? I read that she was really sick last night and they had to cut 'Out Tonight' from the show.

#64 Mallow

Mallow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostDubbie, on 05 May 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Does anyone know if Kerry is performing today? I read that she was really sick last night and they had to cut 'Out Tonight' from the show.

Really?

I thought Katie Bernstein was cover Mimi? Surely they wouldn't have let Kerry perform if she was so ill they had to cut her main number.

#65 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Katie Bernstein is going on tonight

#66 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

Katie went on for 'Mimi' last night... Having seen this touring production 4 times before, I'd grown used to Kerry's 'Mimi' and it was weird but exciting to see a new take. I thought Katie was really good, considering she didn't expect to have to go on until quite late! She was probably a better 'match' for Rory's Roger look-wise and I believed their relationship/chemistry more than I did Rory/Kerry's. Her acting was also very strong and heart-breaking. I definitely missed Kerry's flawless voice on the songs, though. A lot of people have said Kerry was miscast and I agree to some extent, but last night really made me realise what a great performer Kerry is. Yes, 'Mimi' wasn't the most perfect role for her, but I think she tried her best with it and vocally she was outstanding. I'm guessing if Katie hadn't been so nervous, she would've sounded better... but the difference in vocals was so obvious, I couldn't help but be a bit gutted I wasn't hearing Kerry every-time she sang.
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#67 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Look forward to seeing this when they announce more dates for end of the year, but... I honestly do not understand the fuss around Kerry Ellis. She obviously has a very good voice, but I didn't enjoy her in Wicked and can't see her as Mimi at all! A little stunt casting for this tour I think!

#68 Dubbie

Dubbie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Announced today that Rachel John will be Mimi in the Nov tour. Kerry Ellis is back for the 2014 dates too.

#69 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostDubbie, on 30 August 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Announced today that Rachel John will be Mimi in the Nov tour. Kerry Ellis is back for the 2014 dates too.
I'll be trying to see it in November then!  Rachel John I can picture as Mimi, Kerry Ellis not so much...  Plus I prefer Rachel's voice.

#70 NoddyButtToday

NoddyButtToday

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Mimi rather than her adopted, WASP, (much) elder sister. Gets my vote having seen the first tour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users