- - - - -

Oliver Thornton Donning The Fishnets Again...........new Frank N Furter?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Looks like the tour is doing very well. Wouldn't right off a London transfer if there is a house free for a couple of months.

#32 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Harry Neale (Footloose, INJU5TICE) is going to be Rocky for some dates. TimeWarp says there's another date going to be announced tomorrow, fingers crossed it's a West End one!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#33 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Went with my partner last night in Birmingham! He is a fan of the film and I was willing for a good night... Now I know that people go dressed up (we didn't) and it ranged from a few crazy wigs to some half naked men and women... The audience appeared up for a good time, lots of alcohol fueled laughter and shouting before it even began...

Now we are "Rocky Horror Virgin's" as I overheard one person say so didn't know what to expect but I wasn't expecting that! From the word do, it was screaming and shouting! I gathered part of the shouting was what "happens" as there was more than one person shouting the same things at the same time! But I started feeling mega uncomfortable when there was a small child sat beside me, looked no older than 10, and when words such as 'tw*t', 'cu*t', 'slag' and so on were being shouted around us and I could kept overhearing her asking her father(?) what people were saying, I just wanted to get up and leave!! SOOO many drunk people around us that you could hardly hear what was on stage! And from what I could hear, it wasn't that great! Saving grace of the first 45 minutes was Oliver Thornton who was great but not worth enduring another hour of the animal behaviour around us!

For me it wasn't my idea of a good night out and left at the interval I'm afraid to say! Total disappointment! Not sure if this is the "norm" for the show or just an odd night but not my cup of tea sorry!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#34 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

It must have been quite a shock for you, it's certainly one of the most non-traditional theatre experiences out there.

To answer your curiosity, you weren't there on a bad night - this is "the norm" for Rocky Horror these days!

When the film became a cult classic, audiences started dressing up as the characters for midnight showings at cinemas, shouting back at the screen and using props. Quite often a cast of amateurs performs the action in front of the cinema screen too. This soon became part of Rocky Horror culture and bled through into the staged productions - with the added dimension that the actors could now get used to the audiences' heckles and start to react - you'll have probably noticed the Narrator playing along with the crowd in the first half.

It's a great laugh if you can get into it, but I fully understand that to the unitiated virgins, it can be a massive shock if you're not expecting it. As a fan of the film, did your partner enjoy it or feel the same way?
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#35 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

i like the film but agree i hated the theatre experience...also left at interval

#36 NoahsAark

NoahsAark

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Well it was my first time last weekend (with a group of friends who were also 'virgins') and we loved it and plan to go again.

Thought Ben, Oliver and Roxanne were fantastic, not so keen on Rhydian.  The heckling is a bit bewlidering to begin with but as has been mentioned so much of it seemed 'scripted' that the show flowed along nicely.

For me it was a hugely entertaining, fun night out.

#37 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostDeal J, on 31 January 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

As a fan of the film, did your partner enjoy it or feel the same way?

He felt the same! Joint decision to leave at the interval!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#38 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostTitan, on 31 January 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

i like the film but agree i hated the theatre experience...also left at interval
It's a shockingly bad production they've got it so wrong

#39 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostJamiem, on 31 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

It's a shockingly bad production they've got it so wrong
I thought I was a whinger! I didn't like this show (previous tour) but you never seem to be happy with anything jamiem!

#40 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

View Posttommo2k, on 31 January 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

I thought I was a whinger! I didn't like this show (previous tour) but you never seem to be happy with anything jamiem!
High standards perhaps
Oliver should be playing rocky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users