- - - - -

Oliver Thornton Donning The Fishnets Again...........new Frank N Furter?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostJamiem, on 31 January 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

High standards perhaps
Oliver should be playing rocky
Fair point! I think Oliver would be underused as Rocky!?

#42 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

View Posttommo2k, on 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

Fair point! I think Oliver would be underused as Rocky!?
Yes
But he's overused as frank

#43 xy_whitefaerie

xy_whitefaerie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Ahh sad to hear that so many people didn't enjoy it. I watched it for the first time too (and dragged two poor friends along with me). Knew nothing much about the story when I went except for what was written on the website, but I suppose it added to the experience as it was rather different, especially with everyone around us dressing up. But I think I watched on one of the less wild nights? Don't recall much shouting from the audience (And when they were, it was always funny. The narrator was very spontaneous and witty in his replies as well- but then again it's what he was meant to do). Overall, I think everyone in the audience enjoyed it. Most of them loosen up in the end to dance along during Time Warp. And Oliver was an awesome Frank!

#44 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3382 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

i havent seen the new production i saw the last tour. but it wasnt so much what was on stage that bothered me it was the horrendous audience. glad i tried but never again

#45 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

I like the show but I would be interested seeing it done in a different way that isn't influenced by the film or audience interaction, we've seen shows like Cabaret and La Cage Aux Folles reimagined so why not Rocky Horror?

#46 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Not quite sure where some of you are coming from. I've seen it twice, in Wimbledon and Birmingham with very enthusiastic audiences. It's isn't a 'family' show so no place for a 10 year old. The hecklers shouting 'asshole' and 'slut' and the like is part of the show. It's getting very good reviews and all the cast are very strong, in particular, Oliver Thornton, Kristian Lavecombe, Rhydian and Ben Forster.
Many of the die hard Rocky Horror fans are saying it's the best production so far.
I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would disagree that not many people enjoyed it.

#47 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

View Postchinatoy, on 01 February 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

Not quite sure where some of you are coming from. I've seen it twice, in Wimbledon and Birmingham with very enthusiastic audiences. It's isn't a 'family' show so no place for a 10 year old. The hecklers shouting 'asshole' and 'slut' and the like is part of the show. It's getting very good reviews and all the cast are very strong, in particular, Oliver Thornton, Kristian Lavecombe, Rhydian and Ben Forster.
Many of the die hard Rocky Horror fans are saying it's the best production so far.
I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would disagree that not many people enjoyed it.

I agree it's a very strong cast and definitely not suitable for kids under at least 14 or 15 I'd say due to the language and the content. Most theatres do have a warning about this when you book the tickets or the 2 I've booked tickets with for it have.

Granted it's not everyone's cup of tea but I love Rocky Horror live because it's like a big adult pantomime and it's so much fun. It's a cult film and the official DVD includes a version which tells you what heckles to shout when, what to wear, proper to take etc.

Looking forward to it again in Leeds and Bradford later in the year!

#48 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3382 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

whats not to get, some of us didnt like it. as i say i like the movie but the theatre experience i hated. no issue with audience shouting out (lets face it rocky is a panto, an adult one but panto none the less) and what was going on on  stage was fine but the loud, drunk, crude, inappropriate (with other audience members and members of staff) behaviour and sheer attention seeking and one up manship of many of the audience ruined it. plus seeing naked parts of people i could do without seeing lol

#49 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Well I have to agree with where you're coming from to some extent Titan. I had the benefit of a vision in a basque who must have been a size 30 :blink:  and sometimes too much heckling is a pain but the show itself is a scream and extremely well produced. All five of the leads have fantastic voices and each of them have their roles spot on.

The naked parts of the cast were very easy on the eye ^_^ ........I was eyes front.........much better view than I got from looking at the audience :)

#50 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Disappointed not to see Oliver Thornton in Rocky last night as he was off ill but the understudy Andrew Ahern was on and was excellent. He has been on all week and was given great reviews in all the local papers (Sunderland Empire this week). Also off were Rhydian and Abigail Jaye. Enjoyed seeing our local Superstar Ben Forster who was brilliant as Brad and Kristian Lavercombe was a great Riff Raff. The theatre was quite full tho not quite a sell out and the banter from the audience was not too bad with Philip Franks giving great comebacks. Thoroughly enjoyed the show but no chance to see it again now that Oliver is back in it which is a great shame as was looking forward to seeing him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users