• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#31 max

max

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:19 AM

Backdrifter, will you take a listen to yourself?! Commending or criticising each person's view on the play like you're the teacher. It's disgusting. You say "Your thoughts were very welcome" like you're the person in charge and you have a right to say what's acceptable........ What is that about??!!? Whatever Eve's view is, you don't have to reward her for it or piss on Theatesquirrel coz you don't like his/her view. I have loved this site for ages and reading everyone's gossip, it's cool, but this is the first time I've ever felt likek I need to post something. On the old site you weren't all this egoistic. take a look at yourselves. It reminds of that line in "Closer" by Patrick Marber when Julia Roberts says "you're like the cat who got the cream, and you can't stop licking yourself".......that's you Backdrifter. I am personally looking forward to seeing "Attempts On Her Life" because I have liked other things that this director has done. Can I suggest to you that you get off your planet and be a bit less like 'Ming the Merciless' and let people have their views and say what they want to say without you telling them whether they have said the right thing or not.............

#32 theatreboy06

theatreboy06

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

Backdrifter:
"It's not finished."

"It's finished."

TheatreSquirell: Emperor's New Clothes?

#33 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(max @ Mar 17 2007, 02:19 AM) View Post
Backdrifter, will you take a listen to yourself?! Commending or criticising each person's view on the play like you're the teacher. It's disgusting. You say "Your thoughts were very welcome" like you're the person in charge and you have a right to say what's acceptable........ What is that about??!!? Whatever Eve's view is, you don't have to reward her for it or piss on Theatesquirrel coz you don't like his/her view. I have loved this site for ages and reading everyone's gossip, it's cool, but this is the first time I've ever felt likek I need to post something. On the old site you weren't all this egoistic. take a look at yourselves. It reminds of that line in "Closer" by Patrick Marber when Julia Roberts says "you're like the cat who got the cream, and you can't stop licking yourself".......that's you Backdrifter. I am personally looking forward to seeing "Attempts On Her Life" because I have liked other things that this director has done. Can I suggest to you that you get off your planet and be a bit less like 'Ming the Merciless' and let people have their views and say what they want to say without you telling them whether they have said the right thing or not.............

No cat, no cream, no Ming, not setting myself up as the teacher - wouldn't dream of doing that - I just liked Eve's comments, was speaking entirely for myself, that's all and didn't mean to come across as patting her on the head; sorry I disgusted you. If everyone who opposed someone else's view on this board (as Theatresquirrel and I were doing) were in fact pissing on each other, there'd be rivers of urine everywhere.

theatreboy - that's one of my favourite bits too.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#34 doc37

doc37

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 16 2007, 10:40 AM) View Post
Video screens are just so old hat - even theatre establishment figures like Trevor Nunn (Richard II) and Nicholas Hytner (Henry V) use them (to little effect) these days.

It's the way that they're used that is innovative - you see the image on screen but you also see the shot constructed and reconstructed live on stage.  Ain't what you got but the way that you use it.

For my tupenny vote, it's a brilliant production, with such an evident rigour that makes me wanna mock anyone who thinks it's indulgent.

#35 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Oh dear. I really wanted to like this production as generally I really like KMís work and she has given some of the best experiences in the theatre and opera house. BUT itís dreadful. An interesting concept but Ö. The direction is overly busy and it never allows you to focus on the text and if anything it distracts from it. At times it left me very confused.

I came out thinking KM had a battle to win with MC, that Ďherí direction was better then his writing. The two just sit together. She may well just cheographed a ballet for all the good she has done to the script

Isnít the role for a director of a play to bring the text to life?

Everyone is so busy doing something, often setting up two scenes in advance that it canít allow you to focus on the current

If I wasnít sat in the middle of a row I would have been very tempted to walk out

The whole experience just didnít feel theatrical, moving , poignant or any other emotion on why we go to the theatre. If anything it was just bloody annoying

On the plus side I was very impressed with Zubin Varla and some scenes made me laugh but I was far from letting out deep belly laughs like other people were

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#36 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:49 PM

Well, I finally saw this. I didn't love it OR hate it, strangely - I liked most of it, and found it watchable enough, but I wasn't really involved in it. Only a few segments really thrilled me. I thought the whole film technique thing worked much better on Waves, which I preferred in every way - and there's just something so inherently UNtheatrical about watching actors set up cameras and then watching what they're filming on a screen, despite the minor excitement of seeing the contrast between what's on stage and how it looks on the screen.  I feel like I could easily go without seeing another multimedia show like this, and I really hope Katie Mitchell abandons such heavy use of it after this - hoping her Women of Troy goes back to her old style, which I must admit I adore!

I thought a few bits were great. The tomato interrogation, the car advert, the ABBA song, the woman crossing the border, many of the scattered images and individual bits of performances - but as a whole, it just left me too cold. Also, I can't imagine it's too satisfying for the actors to appear in plays like this, where they're just tiny pieces in a massive mechanical ensemble. I just don't like being so distracted from what the actors are doing - I read one article that hailed it as being a triumph/celebration for the actor, and well, I just feel like it's not. They were very technically accomplished but I never felt anything, except impressed at the technical skill.
He used to call me ó Blue Roses.

#37 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

I didn't hate it.  I didn't really get it but I didn't completely hate it.  Actually that's not strictly true.  About half way through I had an overwhelming 'life's too short' moment but I went out, had a coffee and a ten minute walk round and decided to go back in.  It didn't get better and I still didn't really get it - but it didn't get worse either.  

I've been through the two possible reasons that could account for why I didn't really get it:
1) it's too intellectually complex for my pitiful brain to comprehend
2) there isn't really much to get.
Taking into account my IQ and the amount of theatre I've seen I tend to incline towards the latter explanation.  However, while I can't accept that it's a deep and meaningful piece, I suspect that there probably is something there that I'm missing and if I ever find myself on a long train journey I would be prepared to spend some time reading the text in order to find out.  But unless you're a huge Katie Mitchell/multimedia fan I'd suggest you give this one a miss.

#38 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

To me the play is treading on a fine line between theatre and video installation, and if I had a choice I'd like to see a film of it in an art gallery. It would probably be one of those installations where I drift in, stay for 20 minutes and come out thinking that it was kinda neat. I might even pop back in if the rest of the exhibition was a bit of a let-down.

I preferred it to the Waves and was glad she gave up on the idea of 'making sound and showing how the sound is made'. Some of the segments were quite alright, some could be lost without being a loss, especially the last one in my opinion.

I did think it was quite interesting that the point of 'a play not having a point and that being the point' was driven home so intensely in the Review segment. And that the guy who criticised the play was portrait as a quasi nazi.

#39 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Mar 13 2007, 08:54 AM) View Post
I saw it last night.

Did anyone here ever see the excellent sitcom Spaced? There's an episode in which a rather well-worn cliche is employed (though to great comic effect), i.e. the incomprehensible 'experimental' theatre production, consisting in this case of David Walliams in Lee Bowery-style all-over make-up screaming gibberish while discordant music and explosions are heard, and someone in the background holds up caption cards with random words on, while dismantling a vacuum cleaner.

Attempts On Her Life wasn't a million miles away from that sort of thing.

... minus the free twiglets sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users