#12 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostMusicalBoy, on 09 October 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

Whose performance didn't you enjoy, zyx123?

The actress playing Sally.

#13 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

View Postzyx123, on 09 October 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

I absolutely hated this when I saw it on tour, don't like to complain about performers but it contained one of the worst performances I have ever seen on stage. They sucked the life out of every scene they were in. Matt Rawle was good though.

I have to agree.This version isn't a patch on the 2006 show, and some of the acting is really bad! Michelle Ryan is totally miscast IMHO

#14 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

I found Michelle Ryan rather dull, but quite liked the version - although I went to the matinee & could fill pages of the "badly behaved audience" thread - the blue rinse brigade were out in force, discussing the film version loudly & offering "facts" about the history of the show; mostly wrong ones! They nearly choked on their Werthers when a naked man ran accross the stage! And thank you to the lady behind me who complained loudly of feeling unwell throughout Act One, with her husband repeating "Calm down, stop making a fuss" again far too loudly. Either shut up or leave!
Anyhoo, as I said I think it is an interesting interpretaion, it held my attention and had enough points of difference from other productions & the film to entertain. Albeit with several nods to earlier incarnations. The ending (which I don't want to spoil) was really moving.
The only other performer I didn't really enjoy was Sian Phillips; she got a huge cheer at bows but I found her very one dimensional and her speak-singing was a bit grating. I love the elderly couple sub plot & liked Linal Haft (even if his accent was all over the place!) but she didn't quite engage somehow.
Overall it is visually impressive, great sets & exciting choreography & I enjoyed it very much. Much more than expected TBH.

#15 abs2512

abs2512

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

OMG, I now hoping I haven't hyped this up so much in my mind that it disappoints.  Unfortunately that is what happened with War Horse last weekend.:(
Titanic, Barnum, The Colour Purple, Passion Play,, The American Plan, Merrilly We Roll Along, High Society, Bullets and Daffidils, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,  Pride and Prdjudice, Let It Be, Macbeth, Billy Holliday, A Chorus Line, Salad Days, Tailor Made Man,Privates on Parade, Lift, Cabaret, Impotent, Rocky Horror Show, Kiss Me Kate, Loserville, Cinderella, Boy Meets Boy, Constellation, Victor/Victoria, Daddy Long Legs, Ragtime, I Love You Because, Singing in the Rain : Legally Blonde : La Cage Aux Faux : Sunset Boulevard : Million Dollar Quartet : Avenue Q : Much Ado About Nothing : Wicked : Lord Arthur Saville Crime : Blood Brothers : Grease : Mary Poppins : Thrill Me : The Exonerated : Flare Path : Hedder Gabler : Lend Me A Tenor : Crazy for You : Dirty Dancing : The Producers :Jersey Boys : Matilda : Sound of Music : Joseph : The Doctors Dilema :  Volcano : Soul Sister : Never Forget : Ghost : Les Miserables : Love Never Dies : Phantom of the Opera : Mack and Mable : Sweeney Todd : Chicago : Hair : Hairspray : Abigails Party : Rent : Our Boys : The Last Session: War Horse : The Kings Speech : The Wizard of Oz : Cats : Starlight Express : The Phantom of the Opera : Mamma Mia : The Lion King : Love Story : The Tempest : Billy Elliot : The 39 Steps : Oliver : Top Hat : Rock of Ages : One Man Two Govnors : Shrek : Dreamboats and Petticoats : All the Fun of the Fair : Burn the Floor : Betwixt : Ordinary Days : State Fair : Carousel : End of the Rainbow : Cool Hand Luke : The Book of Mormon : Once : Guys and Dolls : South Pacific : Sister Act : Priscilla,

#16 MusicalBoy

MusicalBoy

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I think responses to this show can be largely based on reference, for example:

If you've only ever seen the movie you are much more likely to be impressed by the plot, darkness and theatricality of it all, but not find Michelle Ryan as flamboyant as expected because you're of the opinion Liza was perfect in the role (she wasn't.)

If you've ever seen anything of Natasha Richardson or Alan Cummings in cabaret, anything else is sub-par.

If you're expected Fraulein Schneider to be a terrific singer, you're in for a disappointment, what you will get instead however, is a phenomenal actress.

As for me (and aaaaas for me) I thought Michelle Ryan was sensational when I caught the show on tour (nothing on Richardson, though) and Matt Rawle was good enough, I liked Will Young's exuberance and enthusiasm but he was far too camp and not nearly sinister enough (too boyish still to play the Emcee?), Sian Phillips was predictably outstanding.

#17 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostMusicalBoy, on 11 October 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

I think responses to this show can be largely based on reference, for example:

If you've only ever seen the movie you are much more likely to be impressed by the plot, darkness and theatricality of it all, but not find Michelle Ryan as flamboyant as expected because you're of the opinion Liza was perfect in the role (she wasn't.)

If you've ever seen anything of Natasha Richardson or Alan Cummings in cabaret, anything else is sub-par.

If you're expected Fraulein Schneider to be a terrific singer, you're in for a disappointment, what you will get instead however, is a phenomenal actress.

As for me (and aaaaas for me) I thought Michelle Ryan was sensational when I caught the show on tour (nothing on Richardson, though) and Matt Rawle was good enough, I liked Will Young's exuberance and enthusiasm but he was far too camp and not nearly sinister enough (too boyish still to play the Emcee?), Sian Phillips was predictably outstanding.

Saw it Wednesday matinee. Savoy was almost full. Large scale standing ovation at the end. Agree,  what you expect may determine how much you like it.  Liza it isn't. They have a young Sally and a young looking Emcee which seems to be to fit  particular visions of those roles.That pretty much explains in itself why neither of the main leads don't have the characteristics a lot of reviews wanted more of. Will Young grabbed the audience from the start. THey need to turn his sound levels up a  bit at times singing, but he's the  complete thing. Michelle Ryan sings well, has real presence  and makes her character consistent. He's not that sinister,  but he does go with the times, and she's shallow rather than worldly or that bohemian - and  begs  the question  are bohemians just shallow anyway? She doesn't belt her notes into 1939, but Sally's not meant to  be an  Elphaba in the original story . I just didn't get the point that some critics  made  that the tone isn't sexy or dark enough. You couldn't be much sexier without an 18 rating,  and I think the darkness works as well as it can with limited time available as the Nazi's arrive - and its bravely made  moving by the end. Sian Phillips I thought was amazing. The ensemble are full of energy and working their socks and more off.

The real problems I thought are with the original script. The lead characters get far too little time to develop a story or character,  and just jump through time to distant stages in their relationships.  The two acts are unbalanced timewise  and the story looks  as if its wound up to meet the 2 hour  deadline. And while there's  too little time with Sally, and the story is crying out for a bit more exposition,  there's big chunks given over to Fraulein Schneider with her  never ending song,  and Fraulein Kost - who didn't  seem necessary at all.

#18 abs2512

abs2512

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Having never seen the show or the film (I had obviously seen snippets of Liza over the years) I didn't really know what to expect. I thought Will Young was absolutely bloody fantastic as Emcee. Sadly the same can't be said for Michelle Ryan, who is neither sexy enough or sassy enough for the role and IMO lacks the maturity that I believe Sally should have, after all, she is a woman who has had many lovers and if you are to believe what she says many pregnancies and as many terminations, she loves her drink and her drugs and overall I just felt that Michelle was too ‘sweet’.

I loved Matt Rawle with his tash - although on a personal note, I wish he'd do something with his hair - maybe a proper short back and sides :)  Linal Haft was a disappointment for me, he seemed to dip in and out of accent, sometimes German then English, then English with an American style twang.

I was lucky to be in the front row, in the centre seat, I wasn't prepared to get a full on view (so close) of a full frontal male - set my heart a flutter - I did have a balloon land on my coat which I pocketed at the interval, and during Money Makes The World Go Round a $1 bill that Will ripped in half, stuffed in his mouth then threw into the audience landing right in my lap - have bagged it and will wait till they can reproduce humans via DNA ;).

I am determined to go back again and see it from further back - I feel that there was so much going on on stage which I missed because of my lack of peripheral vision.

Titanic, Barnum, The Colour Purple, Passion Play,, The American Plan, Merrilly We Roll Along, High Society, Bullets and Daffidils, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,  Pride and Prdjudice, Let It Be, Macbeth, Billy Holliday, A Chorus Line, Salad Days, Tailor Made Man,Privates on Parade, Lift, Cabaret, Impotent, Rocky Horror Show, Kiss Me Kate, Loserville, Cinderella, Boy Meets Boy, Constellation, Victor/Victoria, Daddy Long Legs, Ragtime, I Love You Because, Singing in the Rain : Legally Blonde : La Cage Aux Faux : Sunset Boulevard : Million Dollar Quartet : Avenue Q : Much Ado About Nothing : Wicked : Lord Arthur Saville Crime : Blood Brothers : Grease : Mary Poppins : Thrill Me : The Exonerated : Flare Path : Hedder Gabler : Lend Me A Tenor : Crazy for You : Dirty Dancing : The Producers :Jersey Boys : Matilda : Sound of Music : Joseph : The Doctors Dilema :  Volcano : Soul Sister : Never Forget : Ghost : Les Miserables : Love Never Dies : Phantom of the Opera : Mack and Mable : Sweeney Todd : Chicago : Hair : Hairspray : Abigails Party : Rent : Our Boys : The Last Session: War Horse : The Kings Speech : The Wizard of Oz : Cats : Starlight Express : The Phantom of the Opera : Mamma Mia : The Lion King : Love Story : The Tempest : Billy Elliot : The 39 Steps : Oliver : Top Hat : Rock of Ages : One Man Two Govnors : Shrek : Dreamboats and Petticoats : All the Fun of the Fair : Burn the Floor : Betwixt : Ordinary Days : State Fair : Carousel : End of the Rainbow : Cool Hand Luke : The Book of Mormon : Once : Guys and Dolls : South Pacific : Sister Act : Priscilla,

#19 Caz

Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

there's big chunks given over to Fraulein Schneider with her  never ending song,  and Fraulein Kost - who didn't  seem necessary at all...... totally agree with this... it seemed to go on... and on .. and on!

#20 LittleSally

LittleSally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

I have booked front row stalls tickets but two of our party are only 5' 2" tall.  The tickets just say "may need to loook up".  Will that be a problem?  Does the Savoy have booster seats?  (They needed them for Betty Blue Eyes at Novello!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users