• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 ap156

ap156

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

We went to see it a couple of weeks ago, thought Will was an excellent in it, very well cast and interacted well with the audience. Also thought Michelle put in a class performance and sure did belt out the title number. Standing ovation at the end and well deserved imo.

We sent in the stalls, row Q, not distracted by the overhang, although, out of preference five rows more forward would have been better.

#42 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I came to this blind, not having seen the film or any other production before, mainly on the strength of Will Young’s presence. He is brilliant, but the rest of the show left me checking my watch. The main problem is that this is a musical with too few great songs. Most are effective pastiches of cabaret ditties, not great tunes in themselves – they would pass muster in context, as background to drink and chatter in a Berlin nightclub, but watching them sober from the stalls I found them totally unengaging. Even worse were Sian Phillips’s numbers in the hostel – flat, banal and interminable.

By far the strongest scene was the one just before the interval, where Will plays puppetmaster with swastikas and marionettes while singing (finally) a genuinely affecting song.

#43 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

I couldn't disagree more about the songs but it is unfortunate this was your first experience of Cabaret as this is not a great production of it sadly.

#44 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

I think the band is the best bit about it.

#45 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

i disagree i think this is a stunning production. i do however wish anna maxwell martin reprised her role as she was a brilliant sally

#46 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Finally got to see this last night. I have never seen a production where the gulf between the two above the tile stars is so wide. Will Young, who I had lumped in with the annoying school of pop stars together with Robbie Williams and Jessie J, is a sensational Emcee, I really am looking forward to what I hope is a long career in musical theatre, but Michelle Ryan is totally out of her depth as Sally and drags the whole show down. The band is great, but the set is more 1980's than 1930's. The front row seats are only £35 with a low-ish stage, so worth a punt for Will's performance. More on my blog as usual http://www.frontrowd...7-december.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#47 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Any more rumours on a uk tour after the westend run. ? Or is 19th jan the final show?

#48 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostShowstopper, on 17 December 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

Any more rumours on a uk tour after the westend run. ? Or is 19th jan the final show?

It did tour for 2 or stops before moving to the Savoy so its all geared up to tour. But there's nothing on ATG or See tickets. it ends Jan 19. Presumably they could replace  anyone who didn't want to tour, but just don't seem to be doing it?

#49 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Laura Tyrer was on yesterday as Sally, and did a fantastic job! What an understudy should be. Thought the production was very powerful, and excellent, intricate choreography. Catch it before it goes.

#50 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I would love to see Laura. May go Saturday night if she's still on for the matinee. If there are tickets, of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users