Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:04 AM

Came away from this earlier this evening very disappointed. They've updated it and created a full-on in-your-face production that feels rather sprawled out on the opened-up Barbican Theatre stage. Gutter language and general all-round unpleasantness have obliterated the original. There are some good performances, especially the lead but it's not serving a good cause.

I couldn't see the reason for creating so much space but then not using much of it. Together with the stage being raised above its normal height, the play felt too removed. The extra height means they've taken row A off sale, but physically retained it. So while I was told that my row B seat was 'front row', it was in fact still 2nd row behind a whole row of empty seats.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ May 8 2009, 01:04 AM) View Post
Came away from this earlier this evening very disappointed. They've updated it and created a full-on in-your-face production that feels rather sprawled out on the opened-up Barbican Theatre stage. Gutter language and general all-round unpleasantness have obliterated the original. There are some good performances, especially the lead but it's not serving a good cause.

I couldn't see the reason for creating so much space but then not using much of it. Together with the stage being raised above its normal height, the play felt too removed. The extra height means they've taken row A off sale, but physically retained it. So while I was told that my row B seat was 'front row', it was in fact still 2nd row behind a whole row of empty seats.

Were there many there ? I must admit I have avoided this one based on reviews, and past experiences with the play.

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ May 8 2009, 08:34 AM) View Post
Were there many there ? I must admit I have avoided this one based on reviews, and past experiences with the play.

It wasn't full; if you look at the website all dates have dozens of seats available and that's with all levels except stalls being off-sale. Judging from last night, I think they're having a few late sales on the day; but I'd say they're also having a fair few non-returners after the interval. At 3 hours, it's going to be daunting to those who've found the 90-minute 1st act tough going.

It seems a bizarre use of a nice, big auditorium - housing a show that doesn't seem designed for such a big space, and only put the stalls on sale.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#4 Guest_JaapK-NL_*

Guest_JaapK-NL_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

What exactly does peer guardian 2 do ??
I was told to click on p2p, ad, and spyware thing when its installed. Since i installed it my internet connection has gone from over 100 mbps to under 30 and mostly at 5.5 since i deleted it has shot up to 80 straight away.
http://www.I-am-a-stupid-spammer-with-the-brains-of-a-slug

blah blah blah blah spam spam blah blah blah

#5 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

What an easy mistake to make- coming onto a forum about the theatre and assume  that instead of the theatre we are talking about Peer Guardian computer programmes-  rather than the play Peer Gynt by Ibsen.
I am surprised you didnt start talking about haircuts- after all it is the Fringe sub forum!
rolleyes.gif

I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

#6 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

It was spam, as the (now altered) destination of the link once showed. Some low-paid drone earning a pittance a week to try to create vaguely on-topic-looking posts.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#7 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Jun 24 2009, 07:04 PM) View Post
It was spam, as the (now altered) destination of the link once showed. Some low-paid drone earning a pittance a week to try to create vaguely on-topic-looking posts.

I liked the "I am a stupid spammer with the brains of a slug" altenative. Very appropriate! "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users