Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

View Postxanderl, on 12 October 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

How about Lucy Bailey - proven directing track record and has co-run a building

Yes, and she mysteriously disappeared from The Print Room recently - but I sort of assume that is because she's going to join Greg Doran's inner circle at the RSC. John Caird sometimes throws his hat into the ring when jobs come up, and I bet Adrian Noble would take it.

#12 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'd support Adrian Noble if he promised to move it from Islington :lol:

#13 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

The Almeida's press release proudly squawks that the current AD's programmes included 32 premieres over its 11 years. Is that necessarily a good thing? Might it be preferable to rebalance the programme and stage more classic plays or modern revivals, like the Old Vic's programme? Or how about a policy of co-productions with regional theatres or touring theatre companies, along the lines of next autumn's promised Headlong American Psycho musical there? The Almeida under McDiarmid and Kent was a brand, producing many plays in the West End and in seasons in Malvern. The current regime has bunkered down in its redeveloped theatre with a fairly random (or eclectic, according to the press release) sequence of plays. Maybe now would be a good time for the Almeida to rejoin the wider world, and not just to invite the wider world to come to it?

#14 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Whoever it is the choice will be critical as there's a big opportunity for the Almeida to step up in the current pecking order.  The Chocolate Factory seems to be all over the place these days and the Josie Rourke era at the Donmar is, so far, a big step down from the previous administration.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#15 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

View Postmallardo, on 12 October 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Whoever it is the choice will be critical as there's a big opportunity for the Almeida to step up in the current pecking order.  The Chocolate Factory seems to be all over the place these days and the Josie Rourke era at the Donmar is, so far, a big step down from the previous administration.

I'm hoping my faith in the Menier will be restored by Merrily. The AD of the Menier, David Babani, is a producer so it's a bit of a different set up. The Donmar is certainly going down an interesting route- I've been quite impressed by their productions over the past year, less so by their change in policies.

#16 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

I fancy the recent innovative Theatre Royal Haymarket model, now interrupted by the continuing transfer of One Man Two Guvnors - where someone is appointed each year to direct a season of three plays over a period of about nine months. The regular change of season director keeps the programme fresh, unlike the effects of some longer tenures, but each season is long enough to make its own distinctive mark. In between these annual seasons, the theatre could present productions by other companies.

#17 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 12 October 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

... the theatre could present productions by other companies.

They used to present transfers from the Leicester Haymarket for a while in the olden days, it is not a bad idea but I can think of better venuies for it (Barbican/Pit). I agree that the Almeida shouldn't boast about premieres, their reputation lies largely with revivals and we have no need for another new play venue as we already have Hampstead, the Royal Court and The Bush in that overcrowded market sector.

Also tagged with Almeida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users