#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Yeh, Colin Firth nailed it didn't he?

I've booked Di Viv Rose because those three actresses should be a treat. Hampstead getting its act together methinks with crackin' casting.

#22 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostWhenindisgrace, on 30 October 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Do we need Chekhov short stories to be adapted for the stage?

Yes, because Hampstead need to be able to pretend it is a "new" play to try to mitigate the commercial millstone of having to be a "new play" venue. If they can smuggle a few classics in under the radar then one section of their otherwise alienated local audience might actually come and see them. Scheduling Propellor is another attempt to break free from their badly decomposed new play albatross, as is scheduling revivals of very old new plays like Abigail's Party under the banner of celebrating their (very very few) commercial successes.

Is it actually in their ACE mission statement (dread phrase) do be a new play venue ?  I assume it must be otherwise they wouldn't be in such financial difficulties. The problem is not new plays per se but rather their inability to choose any that turn out to be popular (unlike the Royal Court). I will go and see this Chekhov adaptation and I haven't been to Hapstead for years, so their strategy is working.

#23 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 01 November 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Yes, because Hampstead need to be able to pretend it is a "new" play to try to mitigate the commercial millstone of having to be a "new play" venue. If they can smuggle a few classics in under the radar then one section of their otherwise alienated local audience might actually come and see them. Scheduling Propellor is another attempt to break free from their badly decomposed new play albatross, as is scheduling revivals of very old new plays like Abigail's Party under the banner of celebrating their (very very few) commercial successes.

Is it actually in their ACE mission statement (dread phrase) do be a new play venue ?  I assume it must be otherwise they wouldn't be in such financial difficulties. The problem is not new plays per se but rather their inability to choose any that turn out to be popular (unlike the Royal Court). I will go and see this Chekhov adaptation and I haven't been to Hapstead for years, so their strategy is working.

Rather an unfair view of Hamstead IMO

Haven't the last three productions ( Chariots of Fire, Judas Kiss and 55 days) been completely sold out hits, with 2 transferring?

Looks like they are on a good footing to me

#24 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2094 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yes, Epicoene has a point about the last few years at Hampstead but they have done better recently. Last of the Duchess was another sell out, although no transfer

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#25 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Postxanderl, on 01 November 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Yes, Epicoene has a point about the last few years at Hampstead but they have done better recently. Last of the Duchess was another sell out, although no transfer

Yeah, the new regime has been a success in that regards. I think Tiger Country sold out as well

#26 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2094 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Although last year Trial of Ubu was a bit of a flop, not sure about Farewell to the Theatre
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#27 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

View Postxanderl, on 01 November 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Although last year Trial of Ubu was a bit of a flop, not sure about Farewell to the Theatre

Farewell to the Theatre didn't get a great press reception as far as I remember, but I really enjoyed it.

#28 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Nothing wrong with having to put on new plays. Picking the good new plays is the problem and precious few people seem able to do that. The Royal Court has good readers. The National has not.

#29 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

View Postxanderl, on 01 November 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Yes, Epicoene has a point about the last few years at Hampstead but they have done better recently

That is true, because Ed Hall is a very good artistic director - slipping some "non new" plays into the schedule along with a better selection of new plays are both evidence of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users