30 replies to this topic

#21 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Went back for a sentimental second visit yesterday before it closes for good. Still packs an emotional punch, but the set seemed so tired and battered. Sad to see it go but it needs a refresh.

On the way out I overheard what turned out to be Bill Kenwright speaking about the closure. He said that it had a terrible summer and that "nobody came" which sounded the death knell after twenty-odd years. He also said it killed him to close it, but it would tour forever.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#22 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

That's right Bill... nothing to do with your office screwing up this years' contract with ATG and leaving out the clause which meant you've only ever had to pay rent at 1991 rates.... and ATG are so fed up with you they wouldn't re-negotiate!

#23 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Is Vivienne Carlyle playing Mrs. Lyons?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#24 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Posttheatreliker, on 30 October 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

Is Vivienne Carlyle playing Mrs. Lyons?
She is indeed, Lyn Paul is Mrs J.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#25 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostAlf, on 30 October 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Went back for a sentimental second visit yesterday before it closes for good. Still packs an emotional punch, but the set seemed so tired and battered. Sad to see it go but it needs a refresh.

On the way out I overheard what turned out to be Bill Kenwright speaking about the closure. He said that it had a terrible summer and that "nobody came" which sounded the death knell after twenty-odd years. He also said it killed him to close it, but it would tour forever.

How were the rest of the cast? I know Warwick Evans hasn't performed much since he finished his run in BB a number of years ago. Also Jan Graveson?

#26 robg

robg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

It is sad its closing im a huge fan and seen it over 48 times , but must admit when i saw it last in the west end with Mel c i came away disapointed , it was looking very tired and lacklustre performances . i still think a new production of it would  breath new life into it  as LES MIS did andPHANTOM ETC .was interesting to hear BK on radio weekend saying how the overloud synth drums where his bug bear too , i recently saw the original cast on u tube and thought it sounded very different much more real and the  lead vocals soared at the end .which doesnt happen much these days usually synth or the rest of the cast supporting the mrsj  . it will tour forever i think just hope it doesnt just run out of steam , a new team with a new set etc would  be good

#27 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Went for a final visit last night and absolutely blown away by the whole cast. It's the best performance I've seen of the show in a long time. Yes Eddie and Linda do look too old now (Sean is still looking the same as he did the first time I saw him as Mickey!), but they sing and act it perfectly. Lyn Paul is my favourite Mrs J and still delivers everytime. Was great to finally get to see Warwick Evans after listening to him on the cd so many times. Vivien Carlyle is the best Mrs Lyons ever for me too and I loved the ensemble cast too. Great to see such a fantastic cast on my last visit to the original production. No doubt I will be seeing the tour over the coming years.

Since when did Linda start singing I'm Not Saying A Word and Light Romance? It sounded fantastic and I thought it suited the character really well. Why in the last 2 weeks though and not in the last 20+ years....

#28 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Seeing this today. Lyn Paul was my first mrs j and nobody since has come even close.

#29 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Wasn't disappointed. Apart from the fact Eddie and Linda looked ridiculously older than they were supposed to be, it was excellent. Lyn Paul was born to play Mrs J and the rest of the cast were great.  Glad I saw it before it closed with a good cast, it makes a world of difference.

#30 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

anyone got the full cast list for the final cast?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users