#651 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 PM

View Postmjr, on 23 April 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

Maybe CamMac's pension fund is getting a bit low...

I'm looking forward to it but it does seem like a cash grab by Cameron, the creative team is the same as the Les Mis and Phantom 25th anniversary tours. It'll probably be a sell out in the first year but I'm not sure if it'll be a long runner.

#652 Viserys

Viserys

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

He's got to milk the last cash cow he's left now, doesn't he. Boublil/Schoenberg haven't produced a single hit since Miss Saigon 25 years ago, nor have his other more recent shows been big hits. I can see how he hopes to cash in on a) all the musical lovers who only discovered Miss Saigon after its London run and B) those who are nostalgic for the big weepies of the 90's.

I'm quite glad I saw Miss Saigon three times during its original run, so I don't feel any urge to see it now for these ridiculous prices. Will some time see it when the discounts start flying. I'm also still hoping that today's globalized audience will be a bit more critical of the racist and sexist aspects of the story. I doubt Cam Mack can sustain these prices for long.

#653 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 PM

I'm gona wait for it to show on YouTube.

#654 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Well id hope they wouldn't make it pc, for political correctness to take over the arts and stories based on truth would be a sad day.

Id hoped for a grittier and more realistic production but I cant see that happening. The original was fine but so overblown and exceptionally melodramatic.  It would be more interesting if they had a brand new creative team but with this one I suspect some child of the original and the uk tour

#655 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:06 PM

This one is being staged by associates.. I'm guessing to keep costs low., Not leading creatives. I'm very sceptical it's going to be a great production, but I'll have to wait and see.

Totally agree that the pricing is daylight robbery. Although the front of the upper at the Prince Edward is a decent view, it certainly doesn't warrant a 47.50 price tag.

#656 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 PM

After the success of Les Mis the movie, I imagine Cameron wants to bring Miss Saigon to the screen as well and a successful stage show will lead to a film studio greenlighting a movie.

#657 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:46 PM

It's outrageous too that they charge full price £70 for seats with safety rails in the way! I want to see this ( I love Miss Saigon and prefer it to Les Mis) but will wait for offers! Lucky to have seen the original production at Drury Lane a few times!

#658 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted Today, 05:37 AM

View PostJon, on 23 April 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

After the success of Les Mis the movie, I imagine Cameron wants to bring Miss Saigon to the screen as well and a successful stage show will lead to a film studio greenlighting a movie.

Oh, I completely agree and have thought this for quite some time.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#659 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted Today, 01:37 PM

I think though based on the original production and the fact C Mackintodh can hardly be called cheap when it comes to his productions, that we should expect this to be more than a touring production. Just hope they don't overly rely on projections.

#660 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted Today, 01:42 PM

Yes I would never say Cameron is someone whose productions can be described as cheap

This revival, much like the recent Oliver revival, is unimaginative and a bit of an easy option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users