#101 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 14 June 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

This fills me with dread. A gorgeous large west end theatre filled with a dreary revival , which will be a pale imitation of the original...Just to fill Cameron Mackintosh's pockets even more.

Well aren't you the eternal optimist....

It's a great show, far better than most, if not all, of the jukebox crap that's opened in the past couple of years.  Give me Miss Saigon over all of that stuff any day...

#102 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

except when its charlie and the chocolate factory and then he is all rainbows and lollypops and we are all wrong for judging a show based on promotional material and previews. but judging a show that hasnt even been officially announced is ok

#103 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 14 June 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

This fills me with dread. A gorgeous large west end theatre filled with a dreary revival , which will be a pale imitation of the original...Just to fill Cameron Mackintosh's pockets even more.
Most shows fill you with dread, except Charlie Choc :P

#104 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Oh get over yourselves...

Rehashing old shows doesn't excite me... So shoot me.

#105 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

And I loved Matilda and Once too.. Going to be suspicious of that also ?

#106 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Maybe, and what was wrong with people saying they disagreed with your very negative opinion? And what evidence is it that it will be cheap? There seems to be a lot of time and money going into this and I see it being a big revival! And I for one am very excited by this as I never got to see the original production as I'm too young to have seen it, and would much prefer see a gorgeous large theater be taken up by one of the most successful and best shows (in my opinion anyway) of all time, rather than a new show with an unimpressive score and generally nothing outstanding about it!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#107 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

I'm not saying everyone should feel the way I do about it... My opinion is that it's just Mackintosh staging an old show to make an easy buck. I'd much rather he was using his resources to stage a new musical.
And a prime big west end theatre will then not be available to a new show for god knows how long . That depresses me a lot.

#108 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

When he used his "resources" to stage a new British musical last time.... it did not run or make a profit. Betty Blue Eyes...

#109 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

Miss Saigon hasn't been in the West End for a long time, I look forward to it and also Barnum when it comes into town, funny that Barnum isn't getting the Prince Edward considering its the first major revival of the show.

#110 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 15 June 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Oh get over yourselves...

Rehashing old shows doesn't excite me... So shoot me.

There's a difference between not liking old shows and seeming to be psychic to the extent that you know it'll be a 'pale imitation' of the original - that's prejudging to a ridiculous extreme, you've got no more idea what it'll be like than anyone else because production hasn't even started yet!

And a revival now means it is akin to a new musical for a whole generation (myself included) who aren't old enough to have seen it in the West End first time around!  I've never had the chance to see a proper fixed production of it, and I'd love to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users