#111 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:20 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 15 June 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

. I'd much rather he was using his resources to stage a new musical.
And a prime big west end theatre will then not be available to a new show for god knows how long . That depresses me a lot.
You must be rejoicing in X Factor, the musical then

#112 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

Love Miss Saigon - prefer it in many ways to Les Mis by the same authors.

I am old enough to have seen (several times) the original production by Nick Hytner at Drury Lane which was phenominal but have every confidence in Cam Mack to do a terrific revival. Usually I do like to see "new" stuff BUT the classic musicals stand being revived and it is great to see a new generation enjoying them for the first time.

It was great for example to see a preview performance of the revival of A Chorus Line at the Palladium amoung loads of young students who were as thrilled and knocked out by the show as I was all those years ago at Drury Lane or to be watching a classic play such as All My Sons or View From the Bridge (both recently) and overhearing young people in the interval discussing what they think will happen plot wise in Act Two!

#113 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

I for one am really excited about the show. I've never seen it and don't even know the songs except for the obvious few, but heard great things about it and can't wait to see a full scale production rather than a smaller style touring version.

I don't see the problem with revivals, especially when it has been away from the West End for so long, as long as new productions keep opening as well so there is good variety. For me this seems like a great year for shows with a balance of revivals of shows I've always wanted to see like Chorus Line, new shows like Charlie and fringe stuff like Color Purple.

Sorry Mr Barnaby but I can see why people are suspicious as they have made a few good points!

#114 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Don't get me wrong.. I love Miss Saigon as a show. The score is fabulous.

And shock horror I'm not at all excited about X Factor, BUT I do know a handful of people who went to the last workshop of it and all said its way better than you'd expect , and very funny.

#115 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 16 June 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong.. I love Miss Saigon as a show. The score is fabulous.

Well, then, why do you not want a show that you love to be opened up to a new generation?

There's no rule that the West End has to be new shows all the time, would you not rather have quality over quantity?

#116 tsxmitw

tsxmitw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Looking forward to this?

Why did it close in 1999?

#117 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

If this does go to the prince Edward I will be delighted, Jersey boys is great but the prince Edward has such a huge space and stage which jersey boys doesn't use so glad a
Big show like this will be in there!!

#118 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Not wanting to start speculation about the set too soon, but intrigued what the helicopter will be like? I've not seen the show but heard original production had an amazing piece whereas tour was projections

#119 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Postsam22, on 17 June 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Not wanting to start speculation about the set too soon, but intrigued what the helicopter will be like? I've not seen the show but heard original production had an amazing piece whereas tour was projections

I hope they would do something more than just projections !!

#120 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

View Postsam22, on 17 June 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Well I saw it in London with the helicopter and also in Bradford with a helicopter. Not sure if the one is Bradford was smaller but it definitely wasn't a projection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users