#161 SSB

SSB

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 19 June 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Finall, I'll get to see what all the fuss is about. It's one of those ones I think the general public are aware of (like Evita and Les Mis etc), so it'll be good to finally know why :)
You wont be disappointed:) Its been a while since I was really moved by a show. Saigon gets me every time!

#162 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostTitan, on 19 June 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

i loved the cd for years and when i finally saw the original production on tour i was a little disappointed. will be interesting to see if the public flock to this, i wouldnt say its as well known in terms of songs etc as les mis, evita etc

I agree about the songs as I couldn't tell you any - I've a rule whereby I don't listen to cast recordings until after I've seen a show. As great as cast recordings are, I don't think you get the full effect if you know the songs in advance. But in terms of the big named shows the general public are aware of, "Miss Saigon" I feel is a name people are aware of. For example, back home in my little northern mining village people are aware of the big named shows but don't know the music.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#163 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

yeah very true it is a brand name, but then so was evita and that flopped on its last revival. will be interesting. its definately worth seeing if you havent seen it before

#164 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

I have very mixed feelings about the return of Miss Saigon.

I'm excited to be able to see the show again as it rates as one of my all time favourites but I'm quite apprehensive too, not wanting anything to spoil my memory of the original production which was so brilliant & utterly definitive. It was the first musical I got to see in the West End with the entire original cast and I'm not sure anything can quite live up to that first performance I saw back in 1989 and many more times thereafter.

Still, as and when the return is confirmed, am sure I'll take a big deep breath & dive in to see the new production.

#165 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I agree with theatrepaul above. Miss Saigon packs a huge emotional punch for a musical. I am looking forward to seeing a full scale revival.

#166 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

I saw the original a few times and enjoyed it when I was young but can't really see a need to bring it back other than for the curious unless they will do something radical with it. Can't see it lasting more than a couple of years.

Also, is this gona b the start of bringing back all the 80s/90s mega musicals?? I really do hope not

#167 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 19 June 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

I saw the original a few times and enjoyed it when I was young but can't really see a need to bring it back other than for the curious unless they will do something radical with it. Can't see it lasting more than a couple of years.

Also, is this gona b the start of bringing back all the 80s/90s mega musicals?? I really do hope not

Oh I hope so, I wasn't even an idea when most of them were on stage the first time!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#168 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 19 June 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Oh I hope so, I wasn't even an idea when most of them were on stage the first time!

They should pick a theatre and have them all play there for 1 year each thus helping the young, curious and fans but freeing up the rest of the west end for exciting new musicals

#169 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

I personally cannot wait for this, whenever it may be announced, as I grew up on the CDs that my mum brought us back from the show. She said we were too young to see it, but she went like 3 times. Anyway we finally saw it live on tour with Kerry Ellis and fell in absolute love with the show! I'll be making a number of visits whenever it's announced!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#170 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think it was definitely a show of its time. These "mega" musicals were right for the 80's/90's. They hit on the mood of the times. Whether it'll have the same effect now, we'll see???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users