661 replies to this topic

#391 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

I disagree with Matt Lucas, that wasnt stunt casting. Matt was good in the role.  Theres a difference between casting a star name and stunt casting

Nick while not great, was no worse than some Marius's ive seen (e.g. Gareth Gates)

#392 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Please no no no to any Spice girl in any way shape or form. I personally would like to see Scott Garnham as Chris, David Bedella as the Engineer. Beyond that I've not given it too much thought. Some good talent I hope

#393 les mis lover

les mis lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Well I thought Gareth Gates played and sang Marius excellently.
I would love the rumour he is Chris to be true but there must be lots wanting the part.

Whilst I love Chris Moyles (more on the radio than on TV) I do object to him being in Musical Theatre as he has always stated in the past how he doesn't like it so I definitely do not want him involved in this epic musical.

#394 SuperSecretBoyband

SuperSecretBoyband

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostTitan, on 09 September 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I disagree with Matt Lucas, that wasnt stunt casting. Matt was good in the role.  Theres a difference between casting a star name and stunt casting

Nick while not great, was no worse than some Marius's ive seen (e.g. Gareth Gates)

I really didn't like Matt Lucas as Thenardier, he did all these unnecessary ad-libs that I just found annoying and I found his voice similar to Chris Moyle's as Pilate, thin and a bit strained with no depth and sounding an awful lot like they needed to clear their throats or something (which I put down to not having the range for the role). Matt also did a lot of random squeaks on words that got on my nerves and he and Chris were allowed to just play themselves in a funny costume, both of them seemed more concerned about getting a laugh out of the audience than getting into the depth of the character. You're supposed to walk out of Les Miserables hating Thenardier because he's despicable, amoral and selfish, not because you were sick of seeing him onstage. I couldn't see an Eponine that turned out as fierce as Samantha's was growing up under the influence of Matt's bumbling Thenardier.

And with Mel C, I just can't see her as an Ellen. Vocally, she was very good in JCS (though a bit breathy) but Ellen goes higher than Mary, and she'll be 40 when the show opens and Ellen's supposed to be in her early 20s.
Seen:
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (UK tour, Wolverhampton), RENT 20th Anniversary Concert (Stoke-on-Trent), Evita (UK tour, Wolverhampton), Wicked (London), The Commitments (London), Les Miserables (London), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (UK tour, Birmingham)

#395 luce66

luce66

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Will be really disappointed if there is stunt casting for Miss Saigon. This show is just too special and needs the best of the best in it! It's sad if it has come to this to sell tickets for a musical of this class.

I'm holding off booking for now!

#396 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

View Postluce66, on 09 September 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

I'm holding off booking for now!

Wise words, luce66!

#397 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Yes I'm with you there, will wait for the casting news and reviews before I consider parting with that sort of money.

#398 Westendgirl23

Westendgirl23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (All types), Reading, Writing, Cinema, Kayaking and Rock Climbing

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Everyone is going stir crazy over this show. I hope its a good production and not just cashing in on the fact it hasn't been in the West End for ages. Looking forward to seeing it though!

#399 Mayhem

Mayhem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

It's already taken £4.4 in sales
http://www.broadwayw...Broken-20130909

#400 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes but much of that (as the article hints at) is from agencies getting their allocation...which is a bit misleading.  Its whether those agencies can sell those seats at £70 a pop plus fees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users