#461 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

I think my point was that people r goin on that an actress is too old to play a part but no one seems to pick up/care that the protagonist will b played by a completely different national/race due to blatant racism.

#462 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

........'an Irish man can't play the Eater bunny - he can't even be trusted with a potato'..........

#463 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

........'the cripple can't portray Elephant Man - he doesn't have the pathos'......

#464 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

Sorry which role is racist?

#465 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

All of them! Apart from the whites.

#466 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 10 September 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

I think my point was that people r goin on that an actress is too old to play a part but no one seems to pick up/care that the protagonist will b played by a completely different national/race due to blatant racism.

You do raise quite a good point, actually. People will moan and cry that the actor is too old, but won't batter an eye lid that the actor is the complete wrong nationality. (although, the equality act doesn't extend to theatre anyway - they could purposefully seek out an actor of the correct nationality).
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#467 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Anyone know who else needs to be cast? I know most of the ensemble has been cast as I know some people who will be ensemble but what about the leads? Are they all cast now?

#468 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

A friend got a ticket on Tue and asked when cast would be announced and got told next year!  Didn't someone on here recently say they were doing callbacks?

#469 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Well I know rehersals don't start till march but I know of two people who have gotten the ensemble!

#470 Viserys

Viserys

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostCoggit, on 11 September 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

You do raise quite a good point, actually. People will moan and cry that the actor is too old, but won't batter an eye lid that the actor is the complete wrong nationality. (although, the equality act doesn't extend to theatre anyway - they could purposefully seek out an actor of the correct nationality).

I wonder if Vietnamese performers would want to be associated with this show anyway, considering how blatantly it kicks many aspects of their culture in the face. It's definitely silly to keep focusing on Filipino performers as if they were the only ones who could do western pop music, especially considering how many South East Asians have been living in the West for generations now. Ah well, I've sworn to not get annoyed by this show again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users