613 replies to this topic

#471 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Laurence Connor is a predictable, safe choice of director. A little obvious perhaps. He'll do a great job but it would have perhaps been a bit more exciting to have had someone not quite so steeped in Cameron Macintosh's history.

#472 TheBarricade

TheBarricade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

It looks like the same production that toured the UK circa 2004. I saw it in Milton Keynes with the following cast: Kim - Miriam Valmores Marasigan, Chris - Steven Houghton, Engineer - Jon Jon Briones, Ellen - Kerry Ellis. I found a montage video clip of the production - I remember that the sets looked more "realistic" and the staging worked better for some of the more intimate moments, but IMHO the cartoonish projections for "The American Dream" came across as cheap and tacky.

#473 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Seeing the above clip reminds me what a fabulous show this is. I thought the original production at Drury Lane was superb and am looking forward to this revival immensely. I just hope it isn't too reliant on projections.

#474 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Wow... i hadnt a clue what to expect from miss Saigon, i am only 21 so didnt see it first time round, that is not what i expected but it looks amazing, cant wait to see this, what production was the footage from?is that Kerry Ellis?

#475 marky_198

marky_198

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don't really like the costumes in that 2004 clip. Kim's outfit in "Sun and moon" and "I'd give my life for you" looks way too fancy. Why is she wearing a blue "colbert" with buttons? I think the oversized green army-shirt (obviously Chris') works much better for both scenes.

There are many details that bother me. Why is her hair all neatly pinned back in "Kim's nightmare"? I thought Chris left Kim in bed and then she went looking for him.

I also miss the bar-girls line-up at the beginning of "The heat is on". That is the perfect opening of the scene.This staging looks way too messy, I can't even tell which one is Kim.

Here are 2 clips of the original staging:

#476 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

I really hope that its not going to be a version of the last UK tour. I hated it, didn't think it was a patch on the original. Glad I've not got a ticket yet think I'll hold out for a while

#477 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

If it is basically the UK tour on stage I hope critics pick up on it and quite rightly criticise it

#478 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yes the original production was superb and un-toppable in my view and Lea Salongas performance was just wonderful. Spine tingling!

#479 TheBarricade

TheBarricade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

I preferred the original production too, but it looks like the new sets and direction have been used in various international productions since the West End and Broadway productions closed. Here is a video clip of "The American Dream" from the 2007 Helpmann Awards (Australia's equivalent of the Olivier and Tony Awards) with Leo Valdez as The Engineer. This is the only complete version of the number I could find where those annoyingly cartoonish projections are available:

#480 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

Are those projections in the production opening in the West End?  They look awful!  Glad I haven't bought tickets.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users