611 replies to this topic

#71 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Its surprising that Let it Be isn't doing so hot at the Savoy, I thought it did quite well at the Prince of Wales, I guess moving to a theatre with nowhere near the same passing trade hit sales.

#72 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think X factor the musical will be a huge 02 thing rather that in theatre...

#73 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Jersey Boys will be at the Prince Edward Theatre until 2nd March 2014 at the very earliest.

"As Jersey Boys prepares to mark its fifth London birthday the Whatsonstage.com Award-winning show has extended booking at the Prince Edward Theatre to 2 March 2014."

After that, it's anyone's guess.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#74 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Cameron Mackintosh also has Barnum but I think as its a co-production with Chichester might go into a non DMT theatre, Oliver! was at Drury Lane but that's an exception.

#75 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

booking dates mean nothing. the show could easily close or (if its deemed worth the cost) transfer theatres before then if they want it

#76 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

But can they sell tickets up to x date and then have to go to the trouble of re-assigning and/or re-funding tickets next to informing people who have booked they're not seeing it in the same place as they thought etc? Is that not misrepresentation? Practically speaking, it would be a nightmare. And as far as I'm aware, Jersey Boys and Mamma Mia are still doing too well to even consider closing.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#77 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

its happened plenty of times before, especially for shows closing. for transfers then can and have done it before but transferring a show costs so its only doable if its a show thats profitable.

#78 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yes they can. Just happened with Rock of Ages, people with bookings for the Shaftesbury were reassigned seats in the Garrick, people with bookings within the 2 weeks it was closed were just given a refund. Some annoyed people though who had travel and hotels booked.

#79 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

It's actually good for the show, as it will show the producers if the show is enough of a draw to bother transferring whilst simultaneously building an advance to finically back the move. Well worth the hassle.

#80 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 08 March 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

It's actually good for the show, as it will show the producers if the show is enough of a draw to bother transferring whilst simultaneously building an advance to finically back the move. Well worth the hassle.

Mamma Mia! announced its transfer a year before it transferred and publicised the move to the Novello but the show is popular enough that it could justified a transfer. I remember Les Mis moved from the Palace to the Queens and RUG payed for the transfer costs as RUG wanted the Palace for The Woman in White, I suspect the same may have happened with Mamma Mia!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users