704 replies to this topic

#691 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

eeee, yay Alexia reviews. She does portray Elphaba perfectly and personal opinion aside, thats why I feel she was the right choice for lead over anyone else. She's always Elphaba and never slips (okay, apart from the time that the guard fell over the clog in the catfight scene but WHO wouldn't haha!)

I'm so craving.. I shall complete my time though and then go back. Two weeks!!

#692 ollie

ollie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE(strallenfan @ Aug 13 2009, 01:39 PM) View Post
eeee, yay Alexia reviews. She does portray Elphaba perfectly and personal opinion aside, thats why I feel she was the right choice for lead over anyone else. She's always Elphaba and never slips (okay, apart from the time that the guard fell over the clog in the catfight scene but WHO wouldn't haha!)

I'm so craving.. I shall complete my time though and then go back. Two weeks!!

Thats what I love about her, when she is on stage she is always Elphaba. As much as I loved Kerry it would often end up being her as Elphaba one minute then simply Kerry belting out the words in the next minute! Just my opinion though!

#693 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

She may always stay in the character of Elphaba that she's picked  but I don't see her as Elphaba no matter how good she is. I can appreciate her talent, commitment, whatever else, but fundamentally they way she's chosen to play that character is not how I think the character should be, how I see her in my mind.

Did any of that make sense?

#694 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

I do see where you're coming from Cat, that's exactly how I feel about Ashleigh. And I can also see how longer term fans find her voice strange but I think from a fresh perspective and for a newer audience, she does the job just right. That's not to say someone else can't do that though... Argh, I'm not making sense.

I think most of us that go to see the show more often obviously look deeper into the characters than those who go once or twice. Alexia isn't going to be perfect for everyone, neither was Kerry and neither will Ashleigh because we all look at different things. I will say that Ashleigh seems to stay in character aswell and I have to say that the cast at the moment, with both standbys included, is probably the strongest and tightest it's ever been.

#695 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(cat123 @ Aug 13 2009, 03:25 PM) View Post
She may always stay in the character of Elphaba that she's picked  but I don't see her as Elphaba no matter how good she is. I can appreciate her talent, commitment, whatever else, but fundamentally they way she's chosen to play that character is not how I think the character should be, how I see her in my mind.

Did any of that make sense?

Makes sense to me & I agree with you. For me Alexia just doesn't fit as the Elphaba I want to see. I'd even take Kerry's frequent non-acting as Elphaba over Alexia's acting & I'm not a Kerry fan.

#696 Beanie88

Beanie88

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

Yes, I understand. I have no opinion on Alexia as of yet but I do adore Ashleigh's portrayal, and when Kerry was on good form with her acting I loved her portrayal of the character too.

#697 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

I still think Cassidy is the strongest actress Wicked London has seen. I think Alexia is good too. I find Ashleigh oversimplifies scenes and tries too hard to make the character appear downtrodden and evoke sympathy that it comes across a bit too 'Mary Sue'. I had the same problem with Idina, her character choices seemed to say "I'm a misunderstood emo who's a doormat for everyone! Now root for me". I thought Cassidy brought the edginess and spunk to the role that Idina lacked.

#698 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

I feel Ashleigh's Elphaba cares about everything she's meant to care about, I find her very sincere. I think that's the problem I've had with Elphaba's in the past, that they said all the right things about animals in cages and all that but I didn't actually believe them!

#699 Beanie88

Beanie88

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(cat123 @ Aug 14 2009, 02:18 PM) View Post
I feel Ashleigh's Elphaba cares about everything she's meant to care about, I find her very sincere. I think that's the problem I've had with Elphaba's in the past, that they said all the right things about animals in cages and all that but I didn't actually believe them!

Yes, that's why I liked Ashleigh. Though I did enjoy Kerry as well.

#700 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

I like Alexia's portrayal the best. I think she acts it perfectly, however I'm not a big fan of her voice. I think it's a tie for me between Alexia and Ashleigh because I love Ashleigh's voice and think her acting and the way she plays Elphaba is very good, just not as good as Alexia. Kerry on the other hand is just Kerry, not Elphaba. I felt she was just an incredible voice and half decent acting.
I prefer the other two girl's big belty songs better than Kerry's though because it seemed like they put there heart and soul into getting those notes right and ito making it sound perfect whereas for Kerry it was effortless therefore it didn't really look like she was trying very hard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Kerry fan, however I'm not a huge Kerry as Elphaba fan.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users