24 replies to this topic

#1 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Very good. Impressive performances by both actors. Only the second time I've given a standing ovation.
The St James is a very nice theatre, intimate though a bit lacking on the leg room. Great bar and restaurant.

#2 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

Well done, PaulR, for starting this thread - I wanted to comment but couldn't find the discussion I recalled and didn't want to risk a dupe.  (Think now it might have been under the theatre rather than its first production.)

I saw this a week ago and agree that it's an attractive new theatre (though I found the exterior and foyer rather intimidatingly smart), albeit with a very steep rake (reminiscent of the vertiginous Trafalgar Studios) and ridiculously inadequate leg-room and the production is great. A shame that even on the Saturday night when I visited, the attendance was so poor.  I did feel a little aggrieved myself, having waited in vain for offers and comp wins so forking out for the cheapest seat (£20), only to find later that there were plenty of half-price offers, but with so new a theatre, it's impossible to know when to time your purchase.  I'd love to support this venue and to see Daddy Long Legs, but will wait for my knees to forgive me and to see what happens, price-wise.  Nothing they can do about the cramped seating but I think an urgent review of the pricing policy is required...

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for tip about lack of leg room. I wonder whether theatres appreciate these difficulties.

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

Sounds like they've spent too much time on the foyers and bars and not enough on the seating! I can excuse our "historic theatres" for having uncomfortable seats, but for a newly built theatre there's no excuse!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

If you PM me 'fringefan' I can give you a seat no. that has plenty of legroom but I don't wan't everyone to know ;)

I feel even more agrieved that I paid full price when the productions were first announced, ie £30 when I could have paid half that much.

#6 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thank you for the offer, PaulR - shall take you up on that if I decide to book again.  It seemed to me that the only obvious way to get some sort of legroom was to book an aisle seat, which I did, but that does mean choosing to sit right at the end of a curving row, thus compromising slightly on view, since there is no central aisle.  I hope that at least you enjoyed the free glass of wine/beer etc which was offered with each ticket?  I should have known better though:  enjoyed my wine but then found it hard to stay awake, despite the production having some quite noisy sound effects.  Now I know I really can sleep through an explosion!

#7 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

I went on Saturday evening. The play is good and the performances are outstanding. Perhaps the strongest acting I’ve seen all year. Shame fewer people aren’t getting to this, but at those prices I’m not surprised

I was sat in the front row and I didn’t have issue with the leg room. The auditorium has such a steep rake so every seat should have a perfect view.

The foyers reminded of some swanky hotel in the Far East. Afterwards we went to the pub as it’s a far more relaxing environment. My female companion complained of the cramped ladies loos with only 4 cubicles.

The set price bistro menu looked quite tempting and affordable.

Bully Boy is a good launch to the season but not amazing. I would say artistic policy, branding and pricing all need to be drastically renewed for it to be a success.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#8 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

It's an interesting venue, I had a tour of it and reviewed it for the website. Two row end seats have decent legroom in the main house. The studio is a real peach, I think.

#9 smithers

smithers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, music, politics

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

I enjoyed this play very much but am still recovering from my injuries after tripping on a hidden half step near the stage and falling flat on my face! Anyone else sitting in the front 3 or 4 rows notice it? Maybe I was just unlucky!

#10 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

View Postsmithers, on 16 October 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

I enjoyed this play very much but am still recovering from my injuries after tripping on a hidden half step near the stage and falling flat on my face! Anyone else sitting in the front 3 or 4 rows notice it? Maybe I was just unlucky!

If this was on Saturday matinee then yes I did. I felt very sorry for you as it looked like you had been blown off your feet by the explosion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users