13 replies to this topic

#1 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

No thread for this makes me a sad panda.  

3 new plays, previously staged outside London, now in a pop up venue at Shoreditch Town Hall.  I've seen 2 of the 3 plays so far and both were excellent, in particular Lungs by Duncan Macmilllian, directed by Richard Wilson who I'm told was also good enough to pay for the cushions at the venue!

We were due to see all three shows on the same day, but sadly one had to be cancelled due to some lighting  issues, so we are now seeing that on Friday.

These shows really deserve a wider audience.  I think the capacity is about 100 and generally have not been selling out.

Anyone seen any of these?  If not, had you not heard about it or were you put off by the venue?  I'm interested to know.  Maybe people were missing it on the new NT website?
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 15 October 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

3 new plays, previously staged outside London, now in a pop up venue at Shoreditch Town Hall.

These three plays were co-produced by Sheffield Theatres and premiered last autumn in this mobile Roundabout auditorium which sat inside the Studio theatre in the Crucible. Obviously the Roundabout is designed to tour, to theatres like in Sheffield and to other buildings like Shoreditch Town Hall. It's disappointing, if true, that this isn't packed out in London. It disproves today's Shenton's View thesis in The Stage online that tiny venues guarantee exclusivity. It suggests that it could be tricky to attract audiences in some locations if Paines Plough do ever manage to afford to tour the Roundabout. Which is a shame because I thought the original idea, of creating an intimate portable theatre which could pop up anywhere and play without any need to accommodate to the local venue, was a fantastic one.

Which prompts me to ask if Kneehigh's larger portable theatre, Asylum, has yet ventured away from its summer Cornwall home?

#3 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'll be honest, I had a quick look but at £20 for each play (or £45 for all 3) it seemed a bit expensive. That may sound harsh but in these times I have to look for bargains and with no cheaper seats and the plays not much longer than an hour each.....I know, I know, it shouldn't be about the length of a play but at £12 for front row of the National, most venues having day seats for £10 and the Globe letting you stand for £5 you can get a lot more theatre for your money!
I think maybe if it had been at somewhere like Hampstead I would have gone for it but it does take a little to tempt one to a new (uncomfy?) venue!
Similarly I don't always go for Donmar at Trafalgar as tickets there are all £22. We need some variation!

#4 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

We went and saw all three plays in one day, it was an excellent experience, the plays are of a wide and interesting range, acting first rate and they provoked intetesting discussions among our group. But I can see how the price might be a problem, even the combined price for all three is the price for a West end ticket. On the other hand, as dude-1981 said, Richard Wilson had to pay for the cushions, so it's not like they have the resources to reduce the price.

#5 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Sympathy on pricing....but perhaps they need to create a bit more theatre buzz....for example good old Grandage sells a few tickets for cheap price and then the rest go for more....here they need to get a twitter buzz, get the reviewers to review it, get us talking about it on the forums. Not a lot of page space on National website or traffic on twitter. Perhaps if they did a Young Vic and sold the first 20 tickets for cheap price, going up as it gets later (and hopefully the publicity has convinced us to go!)

I wonder what he is going to do with all those cushions after the run...perhaps he could do a deal with the print room!

#6 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Now you see I have just read a review on twitter, seen this thread and am seriously tempted, even at £20....but too late folks, too late! Can't make the dates! :rolleyes:

#7 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Paines Plough is usually very good at tweeting, e-mailing, blogging, etc. so I can't believe no one knew about this season. You'd think that everyone who saw their Love Love Love at the Royal Court would have been contacted and that quite a chunk of them would have wanted to follow their work. It's ironic really because Paines Plough a couple of years ago made a policy decision to play as widely as possible in the UK while avoiding London, because it's relatively overprovided with new writing, and now they've at last "come in" with this season (after a hit with LLL) it seems to have flown under the radar.

Latecomer, you've missed the whole point of the Roundabout with your comment asking where will all Richard Wilson's cushions go after Shoreditch. The entire theatre is portable - the seating, the lighting, the walls, everything, including the f***ing cushions.

#8 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

I just checked my email and there was a mail from the Royal Court to people who booked for "Love Love Love" promoting this.

I didn't book due to limited free weekends and assuming that the location would be a bit of a pain to get to - I come from outside London and Shoreditch isn't an area I know at all. Although looking at google maps it's not too difficult.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#9 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Going to see Lungs on Saturday on a friend's recommendation, really looking forward to it.

#10 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

View Postxanderl, on 16 October 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

I didn't book due to limited free weekends and assuming that the location would be a bit of a pain to get to - I come from outside London and Shoreditch isn't an area I know at all. Although looking at google maps it's not too difficult.

I think many people would have looked at the name of the area and think it's difficult to get to, which is not. I work around the corner and it's very central. Of course, if you were a party animal you would know that as it's party town on Friday and Saturday night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users