#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

From the Globe email.

A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Tempest and Macbeth, the three plays of Shakespeare’s which deal most directly with the supernatural, will sit at the heart of the season. Three new plays will receive world premières - The Lightning Child by Che Walker, with music by Arthur Darvill, Blue Stockings by Jessica Swale, and Gabriel by Samuel Adamson, a celebration of the transporting power of the trumpet, featuring English trumpet soloist, Alison Balsom. Twice crowned 'Female Artist of the Year' at the Classic BRIT Awards, Alison has cemented an international reputation as one of classical music's great ambassadors, and is ranked among the most distinctive and innovative musicians on the international circuit today.

Interesting connection made between the Shakespeares. Why do they do this? For the RSC it was all about shipwrecks and they put The Tempest in there. You could put MND in any number of categories. Why don't they come clean and say, hey, this is what we are gonna do cos we have the directors in place, the actors can make it and we have the props!
New plays: can't work out if the trumpet one is a musical, a comcert or a play with music.

Anyone know more?

#2 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostLynette, on 16 October 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Interesting connection made between the Shakespeares. Why do they do this? For the RSC it was all about shipwrecks and they put The Tempest in there. You could put MND in any number of categories. Why don't they come clean and say, hey, this is what we are gonna do cos we have the directors in place, the actors can make it and we have the props!
New plays: can't work out if the trumpet one is a musical, a comcert or a play with music.

Anyone know more?

It's probably some form of effort to try to cross publicise more effectively, in the same style as the RSC did this year with their Shipwreck trilogy (itself a pretty poor idea of a combination but they did at least try to work the entire productions together as one rather than three different sets and cast).

I agree I'd rather them be simple and say "here are the three Shakespeare productions, off you go" but that rarely happens at the moment.

#3 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

The Globe often links the plays, doesn't it? I seem to remember one year they did "Romeo and Juliet", "Troilus and Cressida" and something else, linked with a "Love" theme
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

They've certainly given the Shakespeares a unifying title for the past few years - The Play's the Thing was one. Wasn't the theme Kingship last year or the year before'?

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostLynette, on 16 October 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

From the Globe email.

...Three new plays will receive world premières - ... Gabriel by Samuel Adamson, a celebration of the transporting power of the trumpet, featuring English trumpet soloist, Alison Balsom. Twice crowned 'Female Artist of the Year' at the Classic BRIT Awards, Alison has cemented an international reputation as one of classical music's great ambassadors, and is ranked among the most distinctive and innovative musicians on the international circuit today.

Anyone know more?

I think it's safe to assume that Gabriel is a new play. The clue lies in the Shakespeare's Globe e-mail description of it as a "new play". It has a writer but no credited composer or lyricist so is unlikely to be secretly a musical. What's a "comcert"? It would be rather a waste of Alison Balsom's time were the play not to require her to play her trumpet, so it must be a play with music.

When Jo Brand started doing stand-up comedy, her mother became exceedingly perplexed on being told and asked her daughter whether she wore a hat on stage.

#6 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

So Macbeth comes back after being last seen in 2010.  A little soon for my taste.

I'd like to see the Globe take on one difficult or lesser known play a year, so I'm a little let down this fairly safe line up, but fair play to them for bringing back some of the Globe 2 Globe shows.  I will certainly take in one of those.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#7 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

3 new plays in one season doesn't strike me as safe!

#8 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, I only meant the Billy Shakes side of things when I ran this through in my head.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#9 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Henry VI isn't done very often
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

HG : a comcert is a shortsighted concert.
Am v interested in trumpet play but remain unenlightened.

Personally had enough Macbeth for a while. Celeb casting do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users