Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

I saw this excellent Richard Bean play at the Royal Court in 2005 and was looking forward to booking for it at the Kingston Rose, only to be told it's been pulled. All I've managed to find out is that other venues pulled out of the Arts Council-funded tour, I don't know why - there's a brief story on it here. The Rose's own press release says very little.

The irony is, as I think I mentioned in the Where There's A Will thread below, I'm frustrated by having a theatre local to me that rarely tempts me with its repertoire. In the latest season brochure there were 2 or 3 things that caught my eye and this is one of them. It's beyond the Rose's control but it doesn't help their somewhat ailing image.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

What a shame, I was really looking forward to seeing this at Cambridge.

Do you think it would have anything to do with the bad publicity generated by England People Very Nice?

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

I hadn't thought of that. I wouldn't rule it out, but instinctively I don't think it's that. Many of the reviews were quite positive. Had you seen it before? I saw it days after Lepage's Dragon's Trilogy, which I disliked very much. It too covers a significant timespan, less than Harvest but takes nearly three times longer to do it. Harvest covers 80 years and does it brilliantly.

Another good earlier Bean is The Mentalists. I saw it during the NT's 'Transformation' season in the Lyttleton Loft. It was hilarious, I'd love to see a revival of that.

Had you already booked for Harvest?
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#4 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

No, I hadn't booked - do you think that would have made the difference?  wink.gif and I haven't see it either, only read about how good it was. I haven't seen a lot of his stuff but I liked Honeymoon Suite very much.

#5 Guest_mauled by the tigers_*

Guest_mauled by the tigers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(Polly1 @ May 17 2009, 10:29 AM) View Post
No, I hadn't booked - do you think that would have made the difference?  wink.gif and I haven't see it either, only read about how good it was. I haven't seen a lot of his stuff but I liked Honeymoon Suite very much.

Harvest has been cancelled for rather prosaic reasons more to do with money and the failure of other theatres to take up the tour rather than anything to do with England People Very Nice.   England People Very Nice has been extended to August 9th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users