Special workshop performances of a new Musical Theatre piece
Book & Lyrics by Mary Stewart-David
Music by Denis King
Musical Supervisor and Co-director Chris Walker
Co-director Andrew C Wadsworth
Pianist Mike Haslam

Love Friendship Betrayal Hope

I wish I'd thought of afterwards before

A mix of sexual politics and naked ambition in an academic hothouse, Afterwards revolves around a flawed academic who sacrifices his wife, his best friend and almost all of his principles to achieve his life-long ambition . . .

James, a jaded academic at a university nearer to Uxbridge than Oxbridge, wants the Deanship of his College so badly he's prepared to sacrifice his wife and his best friend not to mention his best friend's wife, to get it. Despite minor setbacks such as impregnating one of his undergraduates and messily divorcing the sub-dean, he aims to achieve his goal in a lustrum or two, once he becomes Head of Department, once he gains the prerequisite PhD . . .

The trouble is James is blocked, and cannot write. Fortunately his young, intellectually gifted post-grad, Nick, isn't blocked and can write, albeit with an imperfect grasp of grammar and syntax - a tragic flaw in Academic circles, which will come back to haunt them both in due course.

Ten years later, with the Deanship within his grasp, James has the coveted prize snatched away by Nick who, as a consolation prize, engineers him a Professor's chair, Nick, meanwhile, illicitly consummates his overwhelming and longstanding passion for James' wife Felix, an affair which Nick's wife Ginny is determined to terminate at any cost.

Learning of the affair, James is characteristically sanguine but when he and Nick are forced by their wives to confront their academic failings, the two men are presented with a choice that ultimately costs one of them his life.

Olivier nominee Andrew C Wadsworth is James, with Anna Francolini, Jeremy Finch and Alex Silba, in workshop performances of this new work by Novello award winning composer Denis King and Radio Times Comedy award winner Mary Stewart-David. Directed by New York Drama Desk Award nominee Chris Walker and Andrew C Wadsworth.

Sunday 11 to Monday 12 March 2007

7:30pm

All tickets £5

#2 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hi QTip,
I might be being really stupid, but where is this being held?

#3 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

New End Theatre - & I think it means Alex[andra] Silber.

Here's a 2 for 1 (in fact 2 for 5!!!) offer I received from Showsavers:

2 FOR THE PRICE OF 1

If only we knew what was to happen -

Written by Mary Stewart-David
Composed by Denis King

Special workshop performances of a new musical tragicomedy

A mix of sexual politics and naked ambition in an academic hothouse, revolving around a flawed academic who sacrifices his wife, his best friend and almost all of his principles to achieve his life-long ambition...

"I wish I'd thought of afterwards before"

with
Andrew C Wadsworth, Anna Francolini, Jeremy Finch, Alexandra Silber, Mary-Louise Clark, Amanda Liberman, Fran Janssen, Sarah Mardel and Abi Newberry

Directed by Chris Walker
and Andrew C Wadsworth

Staging by Alex Worrall

Musical Direction by Michael Haslam

Sunday 11 March and Monday 12 March at 7.30pm

To book 2 tickets for just 5 call
0870 033 2733
and quote "ShowSavers Offer"

New End Theatre
27 New End, Hampstead, London NW3 1JD
(5 minutes from Hampstead tube)

Further information from New End Theatre