159 replies to this topic

#111 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Chris is probably my least favourite Bob of the four I've seen (but was by no means bad). He's a great actor (and a lovely guy when I've spoken to him) but I didn't really warm to his voice or appreciate the harmonies quite as much, unfortunately. Might give him another go some time this contract though :)

I think it's important to remember this cast has only been together two weeks. Ryan's been off a bit in that time too so has lacked a bit of stage time compared to normal, and as far as chemistry goes, maybe it won't be quite as natural as in the past, it may just take slightly longer to be more obviously cohesive. It's also the biggest cast change this show has seen - what with a new Bob, Nick, Crewe, Pesci, Knuckles and Francine, all pretty important roles - in one go since it opened, and I think that's worth baring in mind too.

I think it's unfair to make a judgement on them as a cast at this stage, really. Especially when some new members are making their West End debuts or haven't been involved in a musical production for a while. If it's still the case in six months time, then fair enough I suppose.

All that said, I can't properly judge until I've seen them, which will be May at the earliest, so hopefully things will be more settled by then.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#112 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

I absolutely agree that a new cast needs time to settle in. However, we've had similar cast changes when it comes to the number of new people. In 2010 both Philip Bulcock and Glenn Carter left together with several ensemble members. A year later it was Stephen Ashfield, Jye Frasca, Simon Adkins, James Winter, Joseph Prouse, Jayde Westaby and others (actually I think that was the biggest cast change to date).
I've always watched a new cast about 2-3 weeks after they started. This is the first time the show really lacked on stage chemistry.

I'll be back in maybe 2-3 months to give this cast another chance. But at this point I'm really not interested to see the show on a regular basis.

#113 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

I stand corrected - it's the second biggest (just). In Philip and Glenn's final year, I think there were 8 changes (with Suzy, Madeleine, Ashley, Michelle B, Kieran and Chris H). In Stephen's final year, there were 10 (with Scott, Simon, Jye, James, Joseph, Jayde, Michelle F, Ben and Zara). This time round with Matt, Eugene, Howard, Dan, Mark C, Trina, Michael, Edd and Ben - who were both promoted and count as a 'change' I guess - there were 9.

So in summary, I suppose it is a big change which has been seen before and like you say less noticeable on those occasions. But when you put a brand new group of people together, it may take them a while to gel, regardless of anything that has happened before. There have been swings on already in this past couple of weeks too, Ben J's been on as Frankie with Ben E as Pesci, Ben W has been Tommy and Stuart as Hank so they've actually only had about a week's full cast together yet. You can see with other shows it can and does take longer. We'll see.

Maybe this will prove to be one of the less well gelled casts; I just think a judgement should be a very cautious one at this point.
WEST END SHOWS:
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked

#114 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

I would love to stand corrected at some point. After all this has been my favourite show for five years. I hate to more or less delete it from my London theatre schedule.

#115 Camholgate

Camholgate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

I'd just like to add how awesome the boys were on ant and decs show tonight!!

#116 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Sorry to disagree, but personally, I thought that was a shambles.  Visually, the guys were featured minimally & you could hardly hear them over the cacophany of noise from the other artists.  Much better performances out there.
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#117 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

It wasn't the Jersey Boys show though, it was the Ant and Dec show. It was really about them and the end of their series; a bit of fun to give something back. The Boys were just part of it. And as a bit of publicity and exposure goes, it was perfect for the show.

And yes - as much as I'd have loved them to go through the repertoire I didn't expect it. They did their bit well and judging from Twitter/Facebook they loved it too!
WEST END SHOWS:

#118 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Wasn't sure where to put this but thought it might be of interest. Jon Lee has fractured his foot which means he'll be off for several weeks. With Ryan having quite a few holidays coming up both Ben Jennings and Michael Watson should be on for Frankie a lot in April and May.

#119 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

I had Ben as Frankie on Saturday night, along with Chris, Mark and Ben W.  I thought he was very very good though his voice isn't as strong in the falsetto as other Frankies I have seen.  However, his Can't Take My Eyes Off You was brilliant.

#120 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Wish I could have seen the show on Saturday. Ben W ist my all time favourite Tommy and Mark is my second favourite Nick. Plus I really like Chris as Bob. Haven't seen Ben J's Frankie so that would have been interesting as well.
Since I wasn't really convinced by the new cast I would at this point rather go back when some of my favourite covers were on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users