#1 MusicalTwin

MusicalTwin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:40 PM

Hey there fellow West End loving whatsonstager's,

I have a question concerning work in the West End, that - as such (at least I think so, I checked it ^^) - hasn't been asked before.

I'm an almost Bachelor alumni in English literature (having studied English and German language and literature) and having been a musical theatre fan for many years I'd love to move to London some time and perhaps even work there in the West End business, if possible.

Now I'd like to know if it, on one hand, is possible at all to work in the West End (or in London generally) for somebody who's first language isn't English (or at least you might give me an evaluation on how promising it will be to apply for a job with 'these backgrounds')?

And secondly I'd hugely appreciate any suggestions on what kind of jobs one could do in West End (musical & theatre related) business with a BA or MA (Bachelor or Master of Arts degree in above-named subjects) at hand. I'm into musicals since the age of 12 but I figured out that I sadly wasn't able to become a performer a few years ago (when the speech therapist diagnosed me with a 'weak larynx' and 'not completely shutting vocal chords' - which means summarized that I won't be able become a musical performer since my voice would quit sooner or later). Before that I had directed all my efforts towards becoming a musical performer but knowing that this isn't going to happen now I still love musicals and especially London and the West End so much that I want nothing more rather than to work in a job as closely related to musical theatre, London and the West End as possible!
So, what options are there for someone like me?

Any advise and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

~*MusicalTwin*~

P.s.: I'm very well aware of the fact that this business isn't the most profitable one for a 'common' employee!

~*LAST' INN TEGITHA! (LISTEN, YOUR INSTINCT WILL LEAD YOU!)*~

#2 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE(MusicalTwin @ May 20 2009, 12:40 AM) View Post
Now I'd like to know if it, on one hand, is possible at all to work in the West End (or in London generally) for somebody who's first language isn't English (or at least you might give me an evaluation on how promising it will be to apply for a job with 'these backgrounds')?

As long as your English is reasonably good - and if you look around these forums you'll see that your written English is better than that of many native Britons - you should have no trouble. An incomprehensibly strong accent would cause problems, but otherwise you'd get on just fine. All you have to do is hang around a few West End theatres to see how many of the theatre staff are foreign nationals who have successfully built lives in London.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#3 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

Your command of the English language seems to be better than many posters on this site for whom English is presumably their mother tongue.

#4 MusicalTwin

MusicalTwin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Thanks a lot guys! You can't imagine how happy these prospects make me! biggrin.gif (Well, maybe you can...!? *g*)

I'm very glad that my written English is perceived so well here. *blushes* I'd never have guessed that (because believe me, I know for a matter of fact that sadly your English doesn't have to be so well only because you study English)! So thank you very much for the compliment(s)! That really boosts my self-confidence.
Actually I don't worry too much about the accent, for at the beginning of my studies I had to take a class were we were kind of trained in the British accent and in the American accent (of course we were tought by a real Brit and a real American guy!) and also had an oral exam at the end where we had to prove our accent skills and I got an A in that one. And I've been told many a time that my pronounciation is quite well so I don't fear all too many problems according to that (oh my, I hope that didn't sound totally bigheaded now!).

It'd be fab to be able to work in the West End! =) So if someone knows precise jobs that one could do with my degree and skills, PLEASE let me know! smile.gif

#5 MusicalTwin

MusicalTwin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hey guys!

Well, I wonder if anybody can tell me what kind of a job that is, if you're backstage in charge for the children who're staring in a musical? Is that / there a  particular job at all? And if so, of what kind? Does it have a specific title? What will you have to be trained in to do that?

I appreciate any info on that!

Thanks a lot in advance!

#6 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

Check out this thread on chaperoning
whether or not it is clear to you,