• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frankie.fiol

frankie.fiol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Does any one know any good rehearsal techniques specifically related to musical theatre?
I am currently doing a university assignment on musical theatre and need to research in to different rehearsal processes an techniques that I can experiment with and apply to my own performance of Les Miserables: On my own.
Just need some ideas that you have heard of or that may have been useful to you.

Thank you :)

#2 isleofmusicals

isleofmusicals

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Well one tried and tested is to perform the song strictly as a monologue, no singing, until you've nailed the acting - then add the tune/singing back in.  Hope this helps.

#3 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

I've found that adding people and props into the space, recontextualising it and performing it first as a monologue. Play with it. Treat it like a game and then when you find something that works, add the music back in and have that movie running in your mind as you perform the song.
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

Also tagged with musicals, rehearsal techniques, musical theatre, actors, rehearsal process, uni assignment, les mis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users