507 replies to this topic

#31 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yes he looked like a very nice boy but didn't think much of the song or the performance. I know the show needs the publicity but sometimes it is a mistake to perform something that isn't ready or fully rehearsed as this does not encourage ticket sales.

#32 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3392 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

isnr it the same song Michael Ball released?

#33 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

That is so not the way I picture Pruitt.  Not the way I would think he would sing. Did not like the song.  A maybe country/folk with a guitar.  Not Pruitt for me.  I wonder what they did with the rest of the casting.  I do not feel good about it.

#34 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

I would agree with the above but it's far too soon to judge - certainly from West End Live. I have high hopes for this show with Tim Rice on board. It's a cracking story. Lets hope the show is too!

#35 farawaysound@hotmail.com

farawaysound@hotmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

i have heard some of the score and it is really good. Think it is a big epic show, nothing like it at moment in west end. something to look forward to- and amazing cast apparently.

#36 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

But (sadly) does it really stand a chance in the current climate where all people seemingly want is shows with well known songs or star casting?
I wish them all the best though..

#37 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3392 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

Its not just about that (after all The Bodyguard seems to be doing a Ghost), I think in the current climate people want more fun and escapism shows than heavy going shows. If you want romance you have Phantom, you want epic you have Les Mis.  Not sure there is the demand for another romantic melodrama style show.

If the reviews and word of mouth are good though it could do well.

#38 farawaysound@hotmail.com

farawaysound@hotmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

don't you think that people are ready for another big show, though? Not something panto/juke-box-ish? don't forget, Phantom is over 25 years old, and there's only so many times you can see it! if this has enough romance and we know the story is great then i think it could really work.

#39 Viserys

Viserys

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

I absolutely agree with the previous poster. I am a big fan of Les Mis and Phantom, but I have seen both shows so often during the years, I am LONGING for a big romantic epic love story on stage.

The problem, in my opinion, has been the quality of the material in recent years, like that "Gone with the wind" joke a few years back. "Love never dies" had some wonderful melodies but the story was just dire.

Personally I am not at all interested in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", no matter how much it's hyped (may see it some day on a discount) or in that other recycling show waiting to open ("The Commitments"). If "From Here to Eternity" manages to deliver in terms of music, it may well become a surprise hit.

The success of "Book of Mormon" proves that people are still willing to part with serious money for theatre tickets when the show is good enough.

#40 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

I guess the gap in the market for an epic musical based on a well-known romantic film is why Gone with the Wind did so well.

Also tagged with musical, darius campbell, eternity, tim rice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users