36 replies to this topic

#1 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Stott, Friel, and West to star. Oct 2012.

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

I guess Ken and Anna, but do you mean Dominic, Sam, Timothy or Kanye?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3756 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

I assume you're joking xanderl, but if you're not, it's Sam West, though his father could always reprise his performance from Chichester as the Professor!

#4 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

It's Kanye.  Tour dates pending.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Excellent. I can see the posters -

"Kanye is Vanya"

(actually no idea how to pronounce Kanye so not sure if that works :) )

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2534 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

rhymes with "veinier"

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Well beans means Heinz worked so I think it should be OK

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

See, I was all excited because I thought Adam West was making his WE debut :lol:

#9 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I would see Kanye as Vanya, though I can't imagine how it wouldn't be horrible. Whoever they get for the Professor, I hope they're far more toward the David Yelland end of the spectrum than the Timothy West end.
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#10 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

What a relief to see a production of Chekhov that actually trusts the author to make his own points rather than bold facing, highlighting and underlining them with a ludicrous updating or a translation full of cool jargon.  Christopher Hampton's very fine translation is used in Lindsay Posner's intelligent and affecting star-driven revival of Uncle Vanya which had its first preview last night at the Vaudeville.

Vanya is a play about self-pity - everyone on stage regrets just about everything in their life.  This could be wearying in lesser hands but Chekhov found the pathos and the humour in such self-obsessed characters and so does this production.  Ken Stott's raucous Vanya is a little alarming at first with his loud voice and demanding presence but, in fact, he gets it just right.  All the other characters see him as the chief carrier in the epidemic of complaint and so he is.  But he's also very funny and, as things unravel in the later acts, he finds real depths to his despair.  His 3rd act meltdown was riveting and superb.  Laura Carmichael as his soulmate Sonya is just as good.  Her long speech which closes the play was wonderful - she had fellow cast members - and me - in tears.

Doctor Astrov, the idealist, the only character who hasn't given up, is a great part and Samuel West was well up to it.  Restrained and repressed, his suffering is better hidden but it's there and he lets us see it in so many telling ways.  Astrov can easily steal this play.  The reason that West does not do so is that Anna Friel's Yelena does. I had never seen her on stage and didn't know what to expect but I couldn't take my eyes off her.  And not just because she's exactly the luminous beauty everyone in the play keeps saying she is. Despite her glamour Yelena is, after Sonya, the least-confident, least assertive character on stage and Friel was able to show us that but she has a natural charisma that draws us in anyway.  For once I understood why all the other characters are in such thrall to her.  We all were.

On a side note, the program tells us that the performance lasts approximately two hours - with a twenty minute intermission.  When I read that my reaction was, my god, what has Christopher Hampton cut?  No worries.  It actually played at two hours forty minutes.  I stepped onto the Strand at 10.10.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

Also tagged with Vaudeville Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users