20 replies to this topic

#11 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

Well the blogger at rageoffstage seems to agree with me:  unsympathetic characters and generally underwhelmed.  Anyone else here seen it yet?

#12 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Going Saturday...

#13 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

I'm booked to see the show and cannot obviously comment on that.

But since the topic of uncomfortable seats has come up may I nominate the two theatres that always send me home in agony following an evening in their seats?

The Linbury (ROH) and the Baylis (Sadlers Wells).  Both subsidised places so finance is no excuse.

You cannot expect fringe theatres operating on a shoe string under a railway arch to provide perfect facilities either.

#14 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

Off-topic again, but continuing the seating theme, to suggest that as it continues to crop up across the board, maybe we need a dedicated thread on "General Discussion"?  E.g. "Theatre Seats - Dire Or Divine" or at least, something along those lines.

But with specific regard to Southwark Playhouse and other "fringe theatres operating on a shoestring" no, of course I don't expect "perfect facilities", nor would I do so anywhere, as the seating surely isn't the point, the production is.  What I do however yearn for - note I don't even say "expect", because it's a pipe dream - is seating which is not so inadequate that it leaves me writhing in discomfort, concerned about disturbing others, unable to concentrate on the performance and feeling in need of a trip to the osteopath.  

And just to make point out that I don't merely whinge whilst doing nothing about it, I did donate what was for me quite a large sum of money (compared to the cost of tickets at this venue) a year or two back when Southwark Playhouse asked for contributions towards better seating and I hope things will improve at the next two locations.

#15 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

fringefan, how you could have left at the interval is beyond me.  No one has ever claimed V/V is a great show but when it's done up in a production like this with a cast like this and, especially, dancing like this, right in your face in the close quarters of the Vault.... I found it irresistable.

I thought Anna Francolini and Richard Dempsey were terrific leads who found what truth there is to find in this frothy concoction. And the fluid staging kept things moving at such a breathless clip that one didn't pause to ask questions about credibility and motive and irrelevancies like that.  The much maligned score turned out to be a lot better than I remembered it - but maybe it was the style with which it was delivered.

I have to say that I have never seen a bigger crowd in the Vault - the bar at the interval was absolutely packed - or a more raucously enthusiastic one.  The cast were wildly cheered at the end - deservedly so.  It was just so much fun.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#16 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Firstly, despite the most uncomfortable seats in any theatre apart from the Globe, I am so going to miss the damp old arches under London Bridge, we have had so many glorious evenings there that I am sad to see it go. Anyway onto Victor/Victoria which really is the corniest slightest piece of theatre but has been given a real shot in the arm with this production. I agree with everything mallardo has said above and it would take a hard heart not to be won over by the spirited cast. I've given my own verison  of events on my blog, which basically boils down to a five star production of a three star show http://www.frontrowd...-playhouse.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#17 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this (Sat Mat) & thought the cast & production excellent.The mood created was amazing; the Vault may not be the most comfortable or glamourous space but it has a certain intimacy & is really atmospheric. Maybe that feeling is what made Fringefan uncomfortable, but I loved it.
Anna Francolini was superb, as was Richard Dempsey (those legs!) and it is a privilege to watch people like that up close. The whole ensemble were wonderful too.
I agree with Front Row Dress "a five star production of a three star show"; they have truly wrung the most out of this piece, it is slick, funny, elegant & just brilliant.

#18 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Loved this, I would urge anyone unsure about it to just go, you won't regret it.

#19 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Did anyone see the 2* review in yesterday's Metro?
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

#20 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I stopped paying attention to the Metro when they crowned Leona Lewis woman of the year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users