14 replies to this topic

#11 lucyloo

lucyloo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

thanks!! start on june 10th bricking it a bit!

x

#12 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(k8_bond @ May 24 2009, 06:01 PM) View Post
You are ushering a sold out show, some one comes up to you and asks to be moved because the person next to them smells. what would you do?

Well?  I'd love to hear people's suggestions for this scenario.  The only solution I can come up with is to go up to the undesirably smelling person and say 'Congratulations, you've been upgraded to a better seat.'  Then, herd them off to an unused box or, if no available box exists, lock them in the toilet for the duration of the show.  Do you think I'd get the job with this answer? tongue.gif

#13 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

The option I've come up with is to apologise to the complainer, make a note of where they're sitting, and promise to get back to them. I would then scurry to the box office/house manager, explain the situation, and ask if there were any available seats AT ALL. If there were, I'd see about getting the complainer (and party?) relocated. If not, I would return to the complainer before the lights went down, apologise for the inconvenience, and offer to bring the house manager to them at the interval.

If there are spare seats and the house manager says "sure, move 'em", then problem is solved! \o/ If there weren't any spare seats, then if the complainer elects to stay, they might be seeking some sort of compensation. As a lowly usher, I would be very surprised if I had the authority to offer any sort of compensation, hence bringing the house manager to them. If they decide to leave right away, then obviously they could see the house manager right away and get their compensation/ticket for a different night sorted there and then.

The thing that interests me most about the scenario is the fact the person *smells*. Obviously if the undesirable person were noisy, the usher would instead ask the undesirable to STFU. And if that didn't work, the undesirable could be invited to LEAVE NAO. But the fact that the person smells is very unfortunate for them and must not be mentioned in discussion by you. The complainer can say it all they want, but the usher should not for one second say "you're right, they stink"; MUCH safer to fob off the issue with "I'm sorry you feel inconvenienced".

Mind you, I can't imagine anyone smelling so bad as to make it completely unbearable to sit next to them for an entire show. I've sat next to a few niffy people in my time, but it's never been so offensive that I couldn't lean a little away, breathe through my mouth, and/or hold my water bottle up to my nose as a kind of filter. I've met a few people who smell so bad that it's like a wall of stench surrounding them that infects their surroundings for up to twenty minutes after their departure, but they're not really the theatre-going type.

Does anyone *know* the answer? Or is it one of those questions where there is no *right* answer, per se, they just want to see how your mind works when presented with a problem? I'd certainly be interested in hearing other people's ideas on what to do with stinky audience members anyway! :3

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#14 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Offer to provide the complainer with a clothes peg for their nose!
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#15 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

As a FoH Manager I've had to deal with this problem a few times on a sold out West End show - especially because the theatre I worked in didn't have air-con.....

the only time it's been a problem that's not been solved by re-locating people I've had to speak to the 'smelly-one', explain that we've had some complaints and would they mind going to the toilet to freshen up. Luckily, they did and it made it bearable .... if not I would have had to ask them to leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users