• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 madaboutmusicals21

madaboutmusicals21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I posted a few days ago asking what was everyone's favourite song from a musical and it got some really fab responses and reminded me about loads of songs I had forgotten about, it was such a good trip down memory lane that I thought I would ask another.

So, which is your favourite ever musical adaptation?

It's a tough one I know, my favourites are:

Matilda -

and

Billy Elliott -

How about you?

#2 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

As a fan I'd say that Matilda is the best Roald Dahl adaptation of all time. Even with the alterations and additions to the story it remains faithful to the book and gets to the heart, which is something a lot of the films have not managed to do. I would like to discuss this later in my blog when I get the time.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#3 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Almost every musical is adapted from something! Whether it be a film, a book, a play, someone's life story... I challenge people to come up with a musical that isn't an adaptation (or jukebox...)

#4 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

View Postcat123, on 30 October 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Almost every musical is adapted from something! Whether it be a film, a book, a play, someone's life story... I challenge people to come up with a musical that isn't an adaptation (or jukebox...)

I've had this discussion before and the main one I came up with was Next to Normal. Another would be Hair.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Also Book of Mormon,  Drowsy Chaperone, Curtains, City of Angels, Fade Out, Fade In, Do Re Mi, Rags, both of Anthony Newley's hit shows and many by Sondheim - Company, Anyone Can Whistle, Follies, Assassins, Pacific Overtures to name a few.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Assassins is adapted from real life events...

#7 madaboutmusicals21

madaboutmusicals21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

I know most musicals will have been adapted from something, but I was thinking along the lines of classic stories or films made into musicals.

Obviously this is a classic book to musical adaptation that has seriously stood the test of time!

#8 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

There's a lot more original musicals but adaptations tend to be more successful. Aside from the ones mentioned, another overlooked musical which is original is Grease.

The Lion King is probably the best adaptation of a film to a musical, on paper it doesn't scream stage musical but Julie Taymor somehow made it work.

Also tagged with Musicals, films, west end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users