2 replies to this topic

#1 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

Just got back from the first night. It was very good. This was my second time as I caught it when it was new 3 years ago.

Upon watching/hearing it again I realised just how complex but good the score is. Its very intelligent but also accessible at the same time, I find most opera scores arn't like this (with the exception of John Adams). The score really did move me and at times made me weak at the knees

Now on to my gripe. I've never found Tom Cairns to be an amazing director but always quite good. However this production now looks very dated (SPOILER) as the lazers and projections have been done so much better since this piece opened. As it looks dated it exposes the faults of Carins production. I really think the more feminst points of the story cold have being explored better. Phyllida Lloyd and Deborah Warner I think could do a great take on this. It would be too obvious for Katie Mtichel to satge ... surreal events, displaced people and the tempest would be the German's invading Poland !

Anyway fantstic singing from all counts, Bostridge has really gown into his part (shame about his costume). Keenlyside, Spence Sieden are still fab and Kate Royal makes a fantastic addition to the cast

Thank you ROH for bringing it back. I'm hoping for Powder her face in the Linbury next year

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#2 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

Completely agree with you, Reich.  The score, which Ades conducts wonderfully, is complex and thrilling, particularly as the piece progresses.  The cast are excellent, but completely lost in Cairns' ill-lit, ill-designed, ill-conceived and ill-directed production.  It may look dated now, but I don't really think it worked when it opened a few years ago.  He's one of those directors whose work I avoid as I don't like his aesthetic, but I found his work on The Tempest absolutely baffling.

#3 Tulip

Tulip

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

I loved the score and singers and liked the direction and design. It could have be better. Didn't J. Kent do it in Santa Fe?

The thing just looks dated now, the physical set is very ENO powerhouse days and the projections and lighting are much better in SITPWG and The Waves

Still is was great overal

I'm sure this opera will have future and join the ranks of Nixon in China and, errr anything else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users