10 replies to this topic

#1 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

I have just seen Timon of Athens and they have announced the screenings for the first half of the year. Enjoyed the production by the way

Of course there is The Magistrate on 17th January. Hytner remarked on the amount emphasis has been put on 18th-19th century British farces these last few years, including London Assurance and She Stoops to Conquer

The one I am most pleased about is Alan Bennett's People. I did not get to see The Habit of Art. Stupidly I forgot to put down the date.

Then there is This House on 16th May.

They did mention Othello months ago and it is an obvious production to screen.

Is it me or are the screenings being pushed back to the end of the productions' runs. They pointed out that The Last of the Haussmans and Timon of Athens were being screened on the last night and The Magistrate is being shown a few days before that ends. Have other productions been screened a few days before they finish?
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

NT Live People on 21 March and the theatre run continues into April and possibly beyond.

#3 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

That is good to know
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#4 maggiem

maggiem

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Doing NT Live at or near the end of the run makes sense. It ensures that the NT gets the audiences in their theatres and then anyone else who couldn't make it benefits from the cinema run. Everyone's a winner!

#5 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

I've only been to one such relay, of an opera from the Met (*) into a full-size cinema.  It was good, but I can't say I was overly keen to try again because it was too much like being in a cinema (and much too loud, too).

But at my children's behest I've just booked for the relay of the Manchester Hamlet with Ken'n'Alex ("it's River Song!") into the small cinema at Midland Arts Centre, which only seats 150.  Has anyone been to a theatre relay into a small room?  What's it like?

(*) Glass's marvellous Satyagraha.  Ghandi's final aria is the best ever use of the ascending Phrygian mode.  Start on an E and play all the white notes for an octave.  Lovely, isn't it?

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Cineworld (or one of the other chains) are considering creating a range of auditoria to seat around 50 people, to screen even more niche events. Tonight's digital cinema blockbuster event is Pompeii Live from the British Museum. Last week we had the outdoor live relay from the Royal Opera House. Not live, but the 3D Pina Bausch performance film was astonishing. These cinema events are a real bonus nationwide.

#7 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

I saw The Audience last week - first time I'd seen one of the broadcasts and I was very impressed by the quality; it's not the same as actually being there, but it's a close second (and considerably cheaper). The only problem - as ever - is audience behaviour. Where I saw it, there was constant wandering in and out and it was very disruptive, to the extent that for me it's a significant reason not to give it another go. I was in a lecture theatre so a cinema might be better or at least less creaky - have people found that in other venues the audiences largely behave?

#8 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

I have only done it once so far, but it was a production I had already seen in the theatre (The Habit of Art). It was fun and it was nice to see certain things up close but also that's a long time ago, things have changed since then. I know people who saw The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and thought the screening achieved an extra dimension and wasn't just a relay of the stage performance.

By the way, the live relay for Tennant's Richard II is already sold out at the Clapham Picturehouse, there are only tickets for the repeat - non live - screening.

#9 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostPoly, on 18 June 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

By the way, the live relay for Tennant's Richard II is already sold out at the Clapham Picturehouse, there are only tickets for the repeat - non live - screening.

I am envisioning touts outside the RSC.  "Anyone need tickets?  I'll buy any spares" inna rock-concert stylee.

#10 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

I've been to probably a couple of dozen of these screenings and love them. I love seeing the detail, and being in Manchester I can't always get to see the productions for real. But the audiences have always been well behaved, the views better than being the real theatre - so I was sad that the costumes changes, all bar one, in The Audience, were missed. No it is not the same as the real thing but it's still a darn good experience to be applauded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users