Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Bit of a different tone to this thread compared to the one on the horrible old board after KS started at the Vic, spattered with venom including from one idiot (I can't recall who) who said they so hated what he was doing there, it would be better if he hadn't 'rescued' it and just allowed it to become a strip joint, one of the possible fates mentioned at the time. I even asked this poster to confirm if he really did mean that because KS was putting on stuff the poster didn't like, it should cease to be a theatre, despite the fact other people did like the repertoire. He helpfully confirmed that yes, he did mean that.

I recall the Evening Standard doing a hatchet job on him too. I wrote to KS saying there were plenty of us who liked what he was doing, and got a charming letter back from him shrugging off all the criticism and saying it was normal for many theatrical beginnings to ride out such flack.

I've enjoyed a number of shows there but still think back most fondly to the Autograph Hatch story. Don't know if he still does that, though.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#12 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

It'll be interesting to see who his successor will be as I imagine they'll start looking when KS announces his departure. I find it amazing that he balances the AD role with his acting career.

#13 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

http://www.telegraph...-20million.html

now plans to leave in 2015, after sorting out the loos and raising £20 million
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#14 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

If he sorts out the loos he can have an honourary knighthood in my opinion!

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

Hear hear!

#16 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostJon, on 05 December 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

It'll be interesting to see who his successor will be as I imagine they'll start looking when KS announces his departure. I find it amazing that he balances the AD role with his acting career.

It is a very tough job, that theatre's natural tendency is to become poorly attended and descend into financial difficulties and it has taken Spacey's star power alone to keep it afloat. Only a like-for-like replacement (eg. Kenneth Branagh) will avoid another period of decline.

#17 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 05 December 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

Bit of a different tone to this thread compared to the one on the horrible old board after KS started at the Vic, spattered with venom including from one idiot (I can't recall who) who said they so hated what he was doing there, it would be better if he hadn't 'rescued' it and just allowed it to become a strip joint, one of the possible fates mentioned at the time. I even asked this poster to confirm if he really did mean that because KS was putting on stuff the poster didn't like, it should cease to be a theatre, despite the fact other people did like the repertoire. He helpfully confirmed that yes, he did mean that.

I recall the Evening Standard doing a hatchet job on him too. I wrote to KS saying there were plenty of us who liked what he was doing, and got a charming letter back from him shrugging off all the criticism and saying it was normal for many theatrical beginnings to ride out such flack.

I've enjoyed a number of shows there but still think back most fondly to the Autograph Hatch story. Don't know if he still does that, though.

I remember that thread and even remember who the poster was (He/she is still a regular on the boards and holds similarly negative views about the Globe).

#18 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have a fond spot for the Old Vic and think he has done/is doing a wonderful job there. Not everything that had been put on has been great but most theatres have the odd clanger and generally most things seem to have gone down well and been successful. It can't be the easiest theatre to cater for, as noted on the board some people have problems with toilets, seats, space etc and it's quite a barn to fill night after night. I have had some wonderful evenings there and all credit to him for staying put and following through when he presumably very easily could have gone off following much more lucrative film roles at times.

#19 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I do cherish the memory of the Cloaca preview where Kev made a speech before the show welcoming people to the theatre and asking us to switch our mobile phones off. And I've seen him in the audience many times which surely shows he does take a real interest in plays which he doesn't have an artistic involvement in. But I do wish he could sort out the downstairs women's loos. I haven't enjoyed everything (that awful Arthur Miller with Neve Campbell!) but I liked some of the box office failures (the Arabic one with Julian Glover was great)

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

The downstairs needs a remodel: bigger eating space with proper food, bigger bar and better placed loos. It is a very big theatre and he's done well to put on plays and shows that get the audiences in. I wish he would do more on stage himself. I didn't like the RIII but would love to see more American classics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users