273 replies to this topic

#11 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

I suppose one could greet this news by lauding the RSC for an admirable display of continuity, however on the other hand same old same old.

#12 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Strangely I was sitting in a cafe this morning having a cup of tea and a quiet think and suddenly I thought "It's about time we saw David Tennant in the theatre again" and I set to thinking about people who are obviously theatre addicts ....Antony Sher, Russell Beale and Mr Rylance and those who just make the occasional foray...Keira Knightly, David Tennant etc.
As for David, I hope his back holds out! I won't be adding membership but I will be at the front of the plebs queue! Will Richard II be as popular with the public as Hamlet?

#13 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Will definitely be going- I assume/hope it'll be the RST (as opposed to the Swan), for ease of ticket buying.

As soon as I know the dates, I'll get a Travelodge at an ultra cheap rate, like I've done for this upcoming season. I do enjoy going to Stratford and bingeing on plays :lol:

#14 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 05 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Strangely I was sitting in a cafe this morning having a cup of tea and a quiet think and suddenly I thought "It's about time we saw David Tennant in the theatre again" and I set to thinking about people who are obviously theatre addicts ....Antony Sher, Russell Beale and Mr Rylance and those who just make the occasional foray...Keira Knightly, David Tennant etc.
As for David, I hope his back holds out! I won't be adding membership but I will be at the front of the plebs queue! Will Richard II be as popular with the public as Hamlet?

Whether you are a theatre addict or not has much to do with how many opportunities you get in other media I suspect. Which reflects the peculiar demands of film and tv rather than talent. And from all actors in his age group, David Tennant is the only one who has done all the shakespearean roles at the right time. He is the only one with a good chance to complete the set.

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1778 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Latecomer, bit harsh. Tennant did lots of theatre before the TV thing - I'd seen him in at least 5 plays before that happened - and there's no reason to think he won't again so far as I know,

#16 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I think Latecomer is referring to his recent forays into theatre, which seem to be every 2 years in a Shakespeare.

This'll have a West End transfer, surely?

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1778 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, but given his background he's hardly in the same category as Keira Knightley, and he's not been out of DW that long yet.

#18 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Oh no, KK has only done 2 plays (in London, certainly). DT is more accomplished than that.

#19 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I was perhaps a little harsh..PN2 is right...as I am latecomer to theatre I missed all his early stuff! Anyway, now he has the Virgin Media money he can do as much theatre as he likes!

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Let's establish that Tennant served his apprenticeship with the RSC and followed in West End. I'm delighted he will be back in Stratford with great part. Yippee!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users