Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

View Postxanderl, on 24 January 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

The get-out clause is "I hope"!

Yes. I think you are right. One can list all sorts of initiatives that foundered along the way, the last most notable being Michael Boyd's major 4-year Russian theatre season which spluttered to a halt very quickly after it was grandly launched in 2009 ....  

"Twenty years on from Perestroika and the fall of the Wall, the Royal Shakespeare Company is staging REVOLUTIONS, a four-year exploration of Russian theatre and culture"

#52 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

#53 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 24 January 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Adrian Mitchell's adaptation of Boris Godunov, currently playing in the Swan and directed by Michael Boyd, is the final production of this "exploration" over four years (2009-2012) and was always intended to be included in this series.

In the middle, we had Oxygen (2009 & 2010), Little Eagles (2011) and A Midsummer Night's Dream (As You Like It) from Moscow (2012).

"Three years in the planning, Revolutions, the Royal Shakespeare Company’s investigation into the dramatic life of the countries that made up the former Soviet Union",

REVOLUTIONS is a strand of work which will run through our stages for the next few years. Our associate director, David Farr and the Filter theatre company are working together on a piece about artist censorship called Silence. Rona Munro has written a new play about the Space Race, Little Eagles. We will also be celebrating the work of Chekhov, Gogol and Pushkin.

Well, I suppose we had some of it hidden away in Hapstead - no celebration of Chekhov or Gogol was there ?

#54 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Does anyone know when tickets will go on sale for non-members?

#55 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I wasn't  sorry the Russian thing fizzled out.

#56 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Getting back to topic heading...there is a nice little clip of Tennant talking about RII on the RSC website. And a red chair.

#57 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostKathryn2, on 24 January 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Does anyone know when tickets will go on sale for non-members?

For Stratford, Monday 18th March.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#58 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 24 January 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Here is apparently what the direct quote is:

"This winter season acts as a prologue to a wider plan, stretching forward over the next five years. I hope we will work through the entire canon, producing all his plays in our new Royal Shakespeare Theatre, but without repeating the titles in that time".

Any get-out clauses in that ? As you say, the logistics of achieving that look impossible.

A slightly different quote in the Members' Newsletter:

"We will present all Shakespeare's plays over roughly five years, but not repeating any. To do this we will not perform Shakespeare in the Swan Theatre during that time"

(get out clause in this case being "roughly"). Odd that the only info he gives on how he's going to do all the plays is that he's going to do it by halving the number of theatres he uses! Laudable aim, at any rate: as I've whinged about previously the high repetition rate of some of the plays over the past few years has been ridiculous.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#59 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

View Postxanderl, on 27 January 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

For Stratford, Monday 18th March.

Thanks

#60 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

View Postxanderl, on 27 January 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Odd that the only info he gives on how he's going to do all the plays is that he's going to do it by halving the number of theatres he uses!

When is the new Other Place due to come on stream?  Less than five years' time, I'd have thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users