mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

View Postdanieldabell, on 13 April 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Incredible transfer onto tour!
For all of the references to changes for the tour; these are largely because it's a transfer of the Broadway version in terms of music & lyrics, with the song changes and additions.
The show is remarkably epic for a tour & has amazing staging, cast & effects. The video projection screens aren't automated moving blocks across the stage, but are on all side and move up/down along with other scenes that come down or from the side of the stage. Some of the effects remain & are still incredible. The staging in some ways feels more epic because of so much moving on & off the stage. The lighting is incredible too, as is the sound.
My only disappointment (which is hard to say as it's one of my top shows!) is the lack of the best illusion, which was the appearing/disappearing of Sam in the original. This isn't present & I expect would be too complicated to tour (and control the lighting of each venue!). If anyone hasn't seen that illusion, just watch the Blue Room illusion on YouTube as it is immense.
The good thing about it being a Broadway transfer is that the two weaker songs from the West End version are replaced with the superior songs from Broadway.
I will definitely be seeing this tour several more times and really is the most complex & epic touring show I've seen. It's spectacular, gorgeous, stunning & moving.

Could you posit YouTube link of the blue room illusion please ?

#152 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

View Postdanieldabell, on 13 April 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

The weaker songs were BALL OF WAX and LIFE TURNS ON A DIME. Both new songs have similar lyrics, indeed keeping the old titles as lyrics within them. They're now called YOU GOTTA LET GO and (still) LIFE TURNS ON A DIME, but is a different song. There are lyric changes around different songs, particularly in SUSPEND MY DISBELIEF/I HAD A LIFE, and I CAN'T BREATHE is not in it. The music to that song is present with an alternate version of UNCHAINED MELODY over the top if it. There is a different Overture too.

Thanks for the info! I wasn't a fan of Ball of Wax but did really like the original version of Life Turns on a Dime, so it'd be interesting to hear these changes (and the others you mentioned).

#153 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

This has appeared on Wikipedia...

The show premiered in Cardiff on April 10th 2013. The how began 15 minutes after its billed time of 7:30pm, at 7:45pm due to technical issues. Before the show began, producer David Ian stepped on stage to welcome the audience and explain the delay. He explained that the show uses much automated and complex technology, and that issues during rehearsals had only just been resolved. He asked the audience to be understanding of any technical issues that may occur during the performance.

There were 3 noticeable problems during the show: Half way through act 1 a screen displaying the doors of a subway train did not open on cue. This was covered very well by the cast. In act 2, the show was halted for 5-10 minutes due to a 'technical issue'. It was resolved and the show continued from where it left off. Later in the act the sofa used in Molly & Sam's house failed to enter for part of a scene. When it did enter, it was very late and the scene had already progressed. Being on automated rails running the length of the stage, it travelled slowly from stage right to stage left, randomly stopping at various points. Again, the cast continued flawlessly. After this scene there was another 5-10 minute break in the performance due to a 'technical issue'.

Despite these breaks, which appeared to be out of the hands of cast and crew, the show seemed to go very well.

[edit]Orchestration

The UK tour features a 7-piece live orchestra, enhanced slightly by 'digital arrangements'.
  • Keyboard/MD
  • Keyboards/Assistant MD
  • Bass Guitar/Double Bass
  • Drum Kit & Percussion
  • Guitars
  • Reeds - Soprano Saxophone/Clarinet/Bass Clarinet
  • Cello

#154 Jess173

Jess173

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Postdanieldabell, on 13 April 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

The weaker songs were BALL OF WAX and LIFE TURNS ON A DIME. Both new songs have similar lyrics, indeed keeping the old titles as lyrics within them. They're now called YOU GOTTA LET GO and (still) LIFE TURNS ON A DIME, but is a different song. There are lyric changes around different songs, particularly in SUSPEND MY DISBELIEF/I HAD A LIFE, and I CAN'T BREATHE is not in it. The music to that song is present with an alternate version of UNCHAINED MELODY over the top if it. There is a different Overture too.

So they basically transferred the Broadway-Version. Let Go is so much better than Ball of Wax... I saw the show on Broadway first so I only knew Life Turns On A Dime and I Cant Breathe from the CD by then.

Please, please, please say they have the flight over New York with the Subway Ghost Melody as the new Overture as it was in New York. I absolutely loved the flight and missed it dearly when I saw the show in London.

#155 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

What flight??

#156 Jess173

Jess173

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

It was a projection of a helicopter flight over Manhattan with the music that's playing when Sam follows Willy Lopez into the Subway. This was much more dynamic than just the lights and the calm music in London.

#157 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ooooh i see :P

#158 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

How is Wendy Mae Brown as Oda Mae?

#159 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostJess173, on 13 April 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

So they basically transferred the Broadway-Version. Let Go is so much better than Ball of Wax... I saw the show on Broadway first so I only knew Life Turns On A Dime and I Cant Breathe from the CD by then.

Please, please, please say they have the flight over New York with the Subway Ghost Melody as the new Overture as it was in New York. I absolutely loved the flight and missed it dearly when I saw the show in London.

Yes, basically the broadway show with a little trimmed around the edges (automated screen blocks, illusions - but largely all there!).
The "flight" is there, you'll be happy to hear! Including the music you referenced. Also the train scenes from Broadway are here too, which were better than London (length- and width-ways trains, switching between the views) and also litter that flies around too (as in Broadway). They don't do the hand through cup illusion, and unfortunately in today's performance "Sam" knocked it by mistake, but covered it very well!
It had more projections & videos than London, I think these were mostly Broadway additions. The "shadows" of the dancers on the projections was so much better on the tour, really echoing & enhancing the actual dancers.
Stunning show.

#160 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Blue Room illusion, which is a good demonstration of how they did Sam appearing / disappearing in London / Broadway, but alas not on tour!
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=DCQiocETD9c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users