321 replies to this topic

#191 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Just saw this in Wimbledon, other than the song changes, which I felt were pointless, I absolutely loved it all over again. I'm not a huge fan of Rebecca as Molly but her voice is SO powerful and Stewart was good too. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't live up to the London production but it was just as good.

Does anybody know if Amy Webb has any scheduled Molly dates? I know it's early but I saw her the London production and she was fantastic so I'd love to see her in the role again.

#192 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

In all honesty, I was amazed with just how close they made it to the West End production. The design elements are generally rather different, however the creatives have done a superb job in encompassing the original feel. Many production companies can learn from the way this team have re-designed the set, the production will bring tour audiences closer to West End quality design than any other tour we.have had lately (which can only be a good thing).

There were a few technical mishaps when I saw it earlier in the week, although hearing how bad they had it three weeks ago when launching in Cardiff I'm not surprised they are still ironing out some creaks! I'd be tempted to say in parts the production is stronger than its West End counterpart, although I believe the score/book is now exactly what was performed on Broadway?

#193 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3364 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Whilst i agree the set design is well done, different to london but keeping the feel of the show, plenty of other shows have done so before.

#194 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

View Poststrallenfan, on 02 May 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

Just saw this in Wimbledon, other than the song changes, which I felt were pointless, I absolutely loved it all over again. I'm not a huge fan of Rebecca as Molly but her voice is SO powerful and Stewart was good too. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't live up to the London production but it was just as good.

Does anybody know if Amy Webb has any scheduled Molly dates? I know it's early but I saw her the London production and she was fantastic so I'd love to see her in the role again.

Amy will be on this coming Wednesday

#195 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yeah i just saw Rebecca's tweet :) I already had tickets for that show so I am a lucky person :)

#196 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am going Wednesday as well, only have tickets for the one show so slightly disappointed I won't be able to see Rebecca but your comments on Amy does make me hopeful.

And a heads-up, if you didn't know already, Wednesday will also have a Q/A after the performance.

#197 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

As much as I can completely see & understand all criticism levelled at Ghost... I just love the show. I can just watch it over & over...

#198 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

I agree that this tour is of West End quality, and in fact it's better than anything currently on in the West End (in my opinion only).

I still don't really understand why this show didn't run longer.  I think the songs are great, the staging spectacular, and the source material is very popular.

#199 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3364 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Word of mouth was mixed at best, and it was badly produced. It was very expensive to buy a ticket and expensive to run, nearly all the stalls were top price so whilst it did well in first six months or so, after the opening buzz died down they werent prepared for a drop in audience numbers and be able to stay open.  Bottom line is, they werent making money so they closed. When the new cast came in the word of mouth got worse which didnt help.

Whilst its fans think the score is great, many people didnt.  And Ghost as movie is what, 20 years old? Unlike Dirty Dancing, Grease etc it was never a musical so there was no songs that people knew and loved to get them to come along and I know some people didnt think it was a show that needed musicalising (there is an element of 'they will turn anything into a musical these days' in the public mind). Ghost also isnt exactly a cheery show, at a time when people want to escape and be cheered up, or in the case of jukebox shows/movie musicals to the stage, relive their childhood, a show about death, grief, life etc isnt exactly the show youd go for

#200 D'James

D'James

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have to agree. It was the music that really put me off. The set and effects were good but I really couldn't get into the music.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google