321 replies to this topic

#201 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Agree. The staging and effects were fabulous but the samey music and lyrics got on my nerves " I love him" " I miss him" " I really miss him" - I would have slit my wrists but that would have constituted "bad behaviour" so I resisted. Enjoyed the show though more than I thought I would.

#202 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Yeah without the staging youre left with a girl moaning half the time. Obviously i get that its sad sams died etc but a cheery musical its not, and mollys moaning gets tedious. I dont find it romantic especially either

#203 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostTitan, on 08 May 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Word of mouth was mixed at best, and it was badly produced. It was very expensive to buy a ticket and expensive to run, nearly all the stalls were top price so whilst it did well in first six months or so, after the opening buzz died down they werent prepared for a drop in audience numbers and be able to stay open.  Bottom line is, they werent making money so they closed. When the new cast came in the word of mouth got worse which didnt help.

Whilst its fans think the score is great, many people didnt.  And Ghost as movie is what, 20 years old? Unlike Dirty Dancing, Grease etc it was never a musical so there was no songs that people knew and loved to get them to come along and I know some people didnt think it was a show that needed musicalising (there is an element of 'they will turn anything into a musical these days' in the public mind). Ghost also isnt exactly a cheery show, at a time when people want to escape and be cheered up, or in the case of jukebox shows/movie musicals to the stage, relive their childhood, a show about death, grief, life etc isnt exactly the show youd go for

I agree its a bit sad for a market thats otherwise largely giving people comedy,  dancing shows with little story - in ever increasing numbers- , 40s-70s juke box musicals with no story, shows  targetted at people under 12 and over 60,  and currently very few fullscale, more expensive,  musicals. It does ultimately have the most positive story available though - about love, love lasting for ever.  and there being an afterlife. The bible, and Mills and Boone,  did quite well with similar themes.  It also lends itself to two top acting and singing performances, and got them - when a lot of whats on needs and displays  neither ability. Its an interesting question how many successful musicals don't have  more comedy in them - even Les Mis has a lot more  laughs as it kills off most of the cast?  One other problem,  is that the moral of the story may just not  appeal to aetheists, adulterers, misanthropes,  or divorcees. Another is that the theatre was more off the beaten track than most, and was  surrounded by a building site, which can't help passing trade. The big problem, though, I thought was that the producers seem to lose interest regardless, when it failed to win success in the US. And that  has more to do with the nature of a US audience, and the  fact that Ghost's evil bankers, religious charlatans, black con women and  murderous hispanics, may have been a little too un PC for the US of 2012, and too hardhitting,  for a US city where probably a majority of people fall into one group or another. If you want to stereotype and ridicule  anyone in America,  its safer to do it to a small minority like the Mormons.

#204 D'James

D'James

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

View Postdjp, on 08 May 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

I agree its a bit sad for a market thats otherwise largely giving people comedy,  dancing shows with little story - in ever increasing numbers- , 40s-70s juke box musicals with no story, shows  targetted at people under 12 and over 60,  and currently very few fullscale, more expensive,  musicals. It does ultimately have the most positive story available though - about love, love lasting for ever.  and there being an afterlife. The bible, and Mills and Boone,  did quite well with similar themes.  It also lends itself to two top acting and singing performances, and got them - when a lot of whats on needs and displays  neither ability. Its an interesting question how many successful musicals don't have  more comedy in them - even Les Mis has a lot more  laughs as it kills off most of the cast?  One other problem,  is that the moral of the story may just not  appeal to aetheists, adulterers, misanthropes,  or divorcees. Another is that the theatre was more off the beaten track than most, and was  surrounded by a building site, which can't help passing trade. The big problem, though, I thought was that the producers seem to lose interest regardless, when it failed to win success in the US. And that  has more to do with the nature of a US audience, and the  fact that Ghost's evil bankers, religious charlatans, black con women and  murderous hispanics, may have been a little too un PC for the US of 2012, and too hardhitting,  for a US city where probably a majority of people fall into one group or another. If you want to stereotype and ridicule  anyone in America,  its safer to do it to a small minority like the Mormons.

That's why it would've worked better as a play - the story is good enough. I forgot how much I hated the choreography along with disliking the songs. I certainly told all my friends not to see it so the word of mouth was not perfect.

#205 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think the criticism levelled at the plot is a little harsh... if you're going to see a musical based on an 80s (stereotype: girly?) romantic film which is most famous for Unchained Melody and a pottery scene, really, what did you expect!? Obviously it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it doesn't pretend to be. The score isn't iconic or epic like the Phantoms or Les Mises out there, but again I don't think it pretends to be - look at who's written it. I didn't grow up with 80s music or this film - I only saw it a month before I went to see the show in London, just because I wanted to see it before it closed, and completely fell in love with it. It might not be critically acclaimed, but there is a lot to love about it.

I would much rather see this than Les Mis - controversial point!!! - as I think it's more heart-warming than Les Mis and has a lot more to look at on the stage. The illusions are a unique draw to the show and should have got more credit. It's a shame they weren't cost-efficient, considering the **** that is Viva Forever, it deserved all of VF's budget for promotion, and I would see Ghost 100x in a row rather than sit through 5 minutes of VF again.

Finally - props to Amy Webb for a magnificent performance as Molly last night. Her acting and interpretation of the role are perfection (opinion/bias). She might not belt as loudly as Rebecca, but a loud belt isn't the be-all and end-all for me. Tone, interpretation, and many more factors besides are more important. Loved her.

#206 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

"I think the criticism levelled at the plot is a little harsh... if you're going to see a musical based on an 80s (stereotype: girly?) romantic film which is most famous for Unchained Melody and a pottery scene, really, what did you expect!? Obviously it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it doesn't pretend to be."

Thats sort of proved my point, everyone knows the story, so they know it wont be an uplifting night at the theatre,

#207 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

The performance last night ran almost half an hour over so I wasn't able to stay for the Q&A after as I had a train to catch. Very annoying, specifically because I booked this performance for the Q&A too.

I LOVED the show in the West End. Only got to see it once, which was with Caissie and Richard, and Da'Vine understudying as Oda Mae, and was absolutely blown away. Last night... not so much. I still really enjoyed it but it never lived up to my expectations from how I remembered the show which was a real shame. Thought Stewart was excellent as Sam though and Amy okay as Molly (acting-wise she was good, her voice was sometimes fantastic other times her intepretation just made me really miss Caissie). Wendy Mae was fab as Oda Mae, even funnier than I remembered the character. Couldn't warm to David as Carl, possibly because Andrew was just so fantastic and I also really missed Life On a Dime (the new version is not an improvement). In fact, I didn't agree with most other song changes made either, I much preferred it the way it was. For a tour this is a very good production, for me it just didn't live up to the original show I'd seen.

#208 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

There has been lots of offers for this at Wimbledon this week. The prices are nowhere near WE prices either so it does not auger well for the tour.

I did enjoy this show in the WE and pleased the sets and effects have been kept apparently for the tour. They were the best bits. I just felt the performances in the WE were totally overpowered by the staging though apart from Sharon as Ode May.

#209 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Its odd as in some venues its not doing badly,

#210 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Wimbledon will always be a bit hit or miss for tours that have recently been in the west end, especially if they are not aimed at the older demographic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users