#41 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 29 June 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

It's not actually being broadcast Live is it?

Would assume so. Not sure they've sold tickets for this performance yet, which has an 8.30pm start time.

http://www.mif.co.uk...med-for-nt-live

#42 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Flyers for this everywhere at The National....even on the stands selling programmes and water for the current productions.....perhaps they know something that we don't?!

#43 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

I've booked to see it on NT Live. The train fare (and theatre ticket itself) just scares me.

#44 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 June 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

I've booked to see it on NT Live. The train fare (and theatre ticket itself) just scares me.

So what? Beijing is so much more convenient for Canterbury residents, I suppose? Everyone living in Blackpool (to give just one example) could comment: "I've booked to see it on NT Live. The train fare (and theatre ticket itself) just scares me." about every NT production.

#45 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

And? I know several people who are going from London (and the South East) to see it.... it's not the inconvenience or effort that's stopping me...I just can't really justify the expense. If it had been cheaper, I'd have happily gone. £65 a ticket is a lot more than the NT (and nearly any ticket I've ever bought) for a start, and  to give you comparison, the train fare when I last looked was one fifth of what I paid to get to Beijing and back. And though I think you meant it jokily, it's not really a like for like comparison, is it?

People of Blackpool quite happily fly to Spain for a holiday.... but oh no, they can't be bothered to go all the way to the NT to catch the latest Hytner Shakespeare. Yet they complain that their only way to see it is on a measly cinema screen at their local Cineworld. Honestly.

I realise that I'm very fortunate, living where I do, to be able to see a lot of theatre, including everything at the NT. You can't see everything... I'm rather spoilt on good (and often high profile) theatre, hence my disappointment in not seeing this 'in the flesh'.

I'm not complaining that Sir Ken should be giving us his Macbeth in London.... of course not (though it would be nice!).... it's great the MIF is getting the profile it should be. And also great that those of us who can't make it are able to catch it through other means.

#46 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

You could travel much more cheaply than by train. Megabus from Victoria to Manchester on 20 July and back on 21 July is currently £5 each way plus 50p booking fee.

What I meant was, it's a physical fact that everyone has to travel some distance to every theatre. I couldn't see why you chose to mention that fact in relation to this one production.

On a slight tangent (but not really far off the subject), it always amuses me that the "News: International" section of playbill.com focuses almost exclusively on London. It's part of the myth that a person can "see everything" that matters.

#47 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 30 June 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

What I meant was, it's a physical fact that everyone has to travel some distance to every theatre. I couldn't see why you chose to mention that fact in relation to this one production.

Because it's a far more considerable distance - and longer journey - than what I usually travel for theatre. That's why I mentioned it.

And thank you for the megabus.... I will remember that for the future.

#48 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 30 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

So what? Beijing is so much more convenient for Canterbury residents, I suppose? Everyone living in Blackpool (to give just one example) could comment: "I've booked to see it on NT Live. The train fare (and theatre ticket itself) just scares me." about every NT production.

I live very close to Blackpool and if I had decided to go and see this Macbeth it would have cost me more than it would to see Othello at the NT for example.

#49 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm seeing something else at the MIF (I'm a big Adam Curtis fan but I need to listen to some Massive Attack CDs in preparation!) but it's so much cheaper if you book for the train well ahead. You do need to be able to plan but, if you can, it becomes more affordable.

EDIT: I'm off to Bristol to see Tristan & Yseult in a few weeks too, it's quite easy to get there from the South East for a Saturday matinee.

#50 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Actually something I’ve found quite exciting over the last couple of years is how much unmissable theatre seems to be away from London, with things like this and lots of Sheffield’s productions and whatnot, even though I’ve then had to miss the unmissable.  I’ve always been close to London so I’ve been spoilt, and especially now friends are in all corners of the country I realise how unfair the distribution of top quality shows (and things like star wattage and whatnot) is.  It's exciting to see some brilliant productions for people for whom London's a real slog to get to.  What I’ve realised is, with lots of talk about young people getting into theatre and all that, the biggest factor for me getting into it is geography.  For my money, the most daring and adventurous thing Grandage could do with his company is the same set of shows (or the same combination of modern texts, new plays and classics) with the same set of stars (or greats and lovely young people) but in Norfolk or Birmingham or Devon or somewhere like that.  But I am miffed that I can't see Branagh's Macbeth or Willem Dafoe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users